Retroist He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Podcast

Retroist He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Podcast

By the power of Greyskull! Welcome to the Retroist He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Podcast. On today’s show we talk all about He-Man and his pals and enemies. It is such a big subject, so I try and give an overview of the initial wave of He-Mania and how it came to be. Plus I chart some its trajectory since it launched. Music on the show was provided by Peachy.

The He-Man piece above is by Christopher Tupa. You can find more of Christopher’s work on his website or on Flickr.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It is very much appreciated.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3)
[RSS MP3] Add the Retroist Podcast feed (in MP3) to your RSS aggregator and have the show delivered automatically.

If you would like more retro fun, you can also follow me on the Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on the Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

Want to help Support the Retroist Podcast? Please drop by our Support page to find out how.

Listen and download the Retroist He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Podcast

Thanks for listening to the show and I hope you have a great weekend.

Garry Vander Voort

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)

* indicates required

17 thoughts on “Retroist He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Podcast

1. Me at 1 minute in – “Yay, something finally works out for Kid Retroist!”

Me at 2 minutes in – “Oh, scratch that.”

Sorry Retroist. But it’s better to have Battle Cat and lost than never had Battle Cat at all.

2. Can’t wait to hear this one. He-Man was always one of my favorites, especially the episodes with the red dragon Granamyr (not sure I spelled that right though). The second remake of the series was good also, but not as fun as the original.

Suggestions for future shows? Six Million Dollar Man. Someday, hopefully :)

This series was a bit past my playtime heyday, but I did watch the movie.

Had a poor opinion of it then, but gonna queue it up for a rewatch soon, now that you’ve put me in the mood.

I *do* remember that commercial in the podcast where the kid says “It’s Castle Greyskull” then goes into demonic possession voice “and it’s mine”.

I think I had that same inner voice for anybody touching my toys in those glorious heydays.

4. VorAtreides says:

For me He-Man was the best USA kid animation program ever made, and the line of toys was excellent, the quality of those toys was superb, will listen to the show now!

@atari: If you watched the live action movie & nothing else, then of course you’d have a bad opinion of it. That movie was just bizarre at best & ****ed up at worst. Don’t judge the entire franchise based purely on it’s single worst element.

I absolutely adored the original filmation series. The followup “new he-man” series (the sci-fi one) was a stupid concept with ugly designs. I have no idea if it was written well or anything because I just couldn’t bring myself to watch it.
    The 2k remake was good overall, although I was always bugged by the perpetually yellow sky & by the fact that every guy in it was a friggin hunchbacked troll. I’m sure the designers thought that made them look more muscular & badass, but it just made them look idiotic & deformed.

@atari: If you watched the live action movie & nothing else, then of course you’d have a bad opinion of it. That movie was just bizarre at best & F~ed up at worst. Don’t judge the entire franchise based purely on it’s single worst element.

7. vinvectrex says:

Looking forward to this one. Can Mr. Tupa come over to my house and build the Casool Grayskul tree fort for me? I’ve got the perfect location, and it’s going to look great in my yard.

Yeah, I should’ve been clearer it’s the movie that left me (and my movie gang) chuckling at the ineptitudes (though I’ll always be a fan of Frank Langella).

The initial series itself has proven to be solid franchise, and I heartily respect a well-rounded TV show, toon or live-action.
    I had already been through the rollicking swordplay roleplaying with Thundarr, and as a teen, Conan was the next go-to thing for us inwardly muscular males to identify with.

He-Man was another cartoon series that made me long for my childhood a bit longer, though once we start growing up, there’s no stopping to look back.

Now that I’m all growed up, I can indeed stop and look back.
    It helps to have these podcasts and like-minded folks gathered about to discuss the fun things of yonder past.

Conan was unfamiliar to me until the 90s (long after I was already enthralled by heman, thundarr, and I think a few others), that was when I was on a cheesey action flick kick & rented a bunch of ah-nold conan movies (along with beastmaster, and countless other such barbarian-centered films). Later in the 90s the conana the adventurer & (later yet) conan & the young warriors cartoons came out. The conan cartoons felt like a cross between the classic heman cartoon & the pirates of dark water.

10. jamie n. says:

hi retroist great show i absoultley loove he man and the masters of the universe. when i was a kid ihad all the toys no joke even castle greyskull and snake moutain. i know alot about the show even when i was a kid i even knew about stuff that had not happend yet. now thats someting, one thing i would love to share with u retroist is about he man and sketor and king randor, did u acttually know there all related to each other . king randor and sketor are actully brothers. skeltotrs real name is keldor ,so that also means adam \ he man are skeltors nephew well beacause we all know adam and he man are related and the reason i know this also is beause i had a friend whos father worked for filmation. just wanted u to know thought you would get a kick out of it. jamie.

11. I had a HUGE He-Man collection. Especially the originals. He-Man, Teela, Skeletor, Orko, Battle Cat, Panthro, Beast Man, Tri Clops, Ram Man..damn it I loved these toys!

The Marvel comics STAR series was the best He-Man comic ever released with new series included with that mix. It captured the toys and cartoon very well and didnt mess with any continuity.

The mini comics bundled with the original figures were amazing.

DC actually had a very poorly written MOTU comic book..a dark spot on the He-Man franchise.

Loved the show and She-Ra spin off as well!