Retroist Commodore VIC-20 Podcast

Retroist Commodore VIC-20 Podcast

Welcome to the Retroist Commodore VIC-20 Podcast. On this week’s show I talk all about the Commodore VIC-20. I talk about the company that made it, the people involved, the technology inside and much much more. Music on the show was provided by Peachy.

This was the first computer that I owned, so it is very near and dear to me. I hope my appreciation and passion for it comes through in the show.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It is very much appreciated.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3)
[RSS MP3] Add the Retroist Podcast feed (in MP3) to your RSS aggregator and have the show delivered automatically.

If you would like more retro fun, you can also follow me on the Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on the Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

Want to help Support the Retroist Podcast? Please drop by our Support page to find out how.

Listen and download the Retroist Commodore VIC-20 Podcast

Thanks for listening to the show and I hope you have a great weekend.

The Retroist

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

* indicates required

11 thoughts on “Retroist Commodore VIC-20 Podcast

1. vinvectrex says:

The Vic somehow escaped my attention when it was released. I was more focused on the next generation of video game consoles. By the time my attention turned to computers, the VIC’s heyday had passed and my dad had this goofy notion that IBM computers were going to be popular, so that’s what we got. I’m looking forward to this podcast and learning more about this fantastic machine.

2. vinvectrex says:

@Saturday World – King’s Quest is an all-time favorite of mine. The first game we had on our first computer – the IBM PCjr.

3. Torks Bloodfish says:

Thanks for another great episode. Your work gives me a lot of joy. Your mention of Henry Morgan being the voice of Commodore commercials was very interesting to me as I am familiar from his work as the host of a radio show from the days before television where he would regularly ridicule the sponsors he was required to mention (and resented having to do so). Here are some clips of him doing that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrf_Ai-Jr0

4. s1500 says:

Another great episode. One suggestion though: the beeping music every minute or so. The podcast sounds a lot better without it.

I briefly had a Vic-20 brighten my home, but barely remember what interactions I had with it. I recall staring at that white screen a lot and wondering how to make spaceships appear.
    It got quickly switched to the higher-end, more uppity, but classier C64, once we all stared at the poor V20 ineffectively, as a group of non-computer people (it musta been glad to get a better home). And that tried n’ true brown buddy stuck with me to this day.
    Enjoyed typing in programs from these U.K. booklets (which had typos themselves – couldn’t have been me…). Didn’t matter that I got only one of ’em to run.
    It gave me the confidence to dominate the living room TV for entire evenings (’til the real world news came up).

Had lots of fun staring at the Vic-20 in school beforehand. And our computer class teacher was actually called Vic (guess what his nick was).
    I’m still fuzzy as to what uses we made of it.
    My 80s memory is like a datasette awaiting its own grape juice eventuality.
    If it hasn’t already happened.

Thank god for hard copy.

6. TDI says:

Decent podcast, but the C16 was not an interim machine between the Vic 20 and the Commodore 64. It started production about half way through the 64’s life cycle, and was Commodore’s attempt at being a ‘learning computer’. It used the same technology as the Commodore +4, without the option ROMs or the (much needed) memory. It (and the +4) were deliberately made incompatible with the Vic 20/Commodore 64 accessories, in order to keep it from competing with the 64.

Thanks, this was a fun listen!

Comments are closed.