Mattel’s Tastitoy Tootsweet Candy Whistle Maker

Mattel’s Tastitoy Tootsweet Candy Whistle Maker was inspired by the movie “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” This super cool toy from 1968, allows you to make real candy whistles from common Tootsie Rolls. The set included 8 molds, a mold making machine, instructions and Tootsie Rolls (which you could easily replace once you used them up). This is a toy that needs a reboot.

Check out this Very Cool Ad
toot sweet ad

and this is what the Tootsweet looks like
tootsweet

The Retroist

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)

* indicates required

40 thoughts on “Mattel’s Tastitoy Tootsweet Candy Whistle Maker

1. pixlie says:

I used to have one of these. I picked it up at a friend’s garage sale when I was a kid. It was really fun until you got wrenchingly sick of stuffing your mouth full of Tootsie Rolls.

2. Larry Monaco says:

Kathleen – any chance I could buy yours for my daughter’s 11th birthday? A few years ago, I told her about the one I had as a kid and she has put it at the top of her wish list ever since. I keep looking in garage sales, online, etc. but no luck. Let me know…thanks!

3. Lu says:

Hey Larry again,
    You can bid on two right now on Ebay. Just search for Tootsie roll whistle maker press. You will find it. Good luck!

4. Larry Monaco says:

Lu,
    Thanks! I missed those auctions, and there aren’t any more currently. I can’t bid against toy collectors anyway as I just want to buy one for my daughter so she can actually use it. Collectors will bid the price way out of the “toy” range. I don’t begrudge them for it, they just have a different goal than I do. My only hope is to find one that is missing pieces, out of the box, broken (but repairable) or otherwise undesirable by collectors, but these are impossible to find!

5. Felisa Parris says:

I am 48 and still have mine that I received at 9 yrs old, my grown kids, my grandkids and I still use it two or three times a year. I still love the movie too and own a VHS copy of it!

6. Jennifer Ence says:

If anyone happens to find one of these that’s in working condition, please please please let me know. My mom had one of these as a kid, and it would mean a lot if I could find one to give to her.

7. Please e-mail me if you have a toot sweet machine my brother would love to have one again he is almost 50 and still complaines about my cousin breaking his when we were little. It was his most favorite toy EVER. Thanks

8. Deb says:

I am looking for a Tootsie roll whistle maker for my daughter. Please email me if you have one to purchase. Thanks!

9. Hi,

Our theatre group (Northwest Washington Theatre Group) was fortunate enough to secure the ‘rights’ to put on “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” before it was restricted again after only a week! We are doing the show May 20, 21, and 22, 2011, in Bellingham, Washington at the historical Mount Baker Theatre. I would love to have one of these candy whistle machines to display in the lobby during the run of the show. Is anyone willing to part with there machine for a weekend. We wouldn’t be using it to make whistles…only for display.

Thanks,

Larry (NWTG)

10. steve says:

i want to buy the whistle maker..if any one still has a working in the box machine please contact me…margaret, do you still have?

11. Cynthia c. Richins says:

We used to have this as kid growing up. I don’t know where it is now. my mother thinks they gave it away. I would love one right now. If anyone know how to get one, let me know as well.

12. LeeAnn says:

E-mail me if you have 1 to sell at a reasonable price. This toy is a part of my childhood memories

13. Anne Marshall says:

I am trying to buy, rent or borrow one of these machines for our neighbourhood Movies in the Park – this time “Chitty Chitty’ with themed children’s activities before it gets dark enough for the movie.
    Anyone who might be able to help me, I’d love to hear from you. Thanks

14. laura DiSalvo says:

I would love to have on if anyone has one for sale, this was one of my favorite things i remember as a kid i want to show my kids : )

15. Carolyn B says:

I have been looking for one of these sets for years! We couldn’t afford to refill it with tootsie roll candy so we used about 1/2 of a piece of salt water taffy for each mold (depending on the size). With the skeleton-head mold we used peppermint taffy that is white with red stripes and it looked so cool!

If anybody is selling a set in good condition, please contact me and reference “TOOTSWEET” in the subject line. Thank you! And thanks for this site–it is well done and classy! allContezzaCastle@hotmail.com

16. Nico says:

If anyone still has one in good condition, please contact me. this was my mother’s favorite toy as a child and her’s broke when we were cleaning out my grandparents’ house a few years back. I remember how upset she was and would love to replace it with one in working condition this Christmas.

17. Michelle Sterken says:

I have been looking for one of these toys for my two children ages 4 and 8.
    This was my FAVORITE toy when I was a child!!! I am 46 years old now and I would love to share this with my children! If anyone has one they are interested in selling , I would be honored to give it a new home!! Please e-mail me and let me know how the amount you would like to sell it for. Thank you so much!

18. Paul Van Gorder says:

I have one, I got this for Xmas back in 1968 i was 6 years old, and i still have it all orig. the box instructions etc etc except for the candy. I have seen these go for as high as $ 400 bucks. Located in Middle TN.

19. Debbie says:

I am looking for a Tastitoy Toot Sweet Whistle maker. If anyone knows of any that are for sale that would be fantastic.
    Thanks

20. Angela Swope says:

I have one I am selling. It is a 1969 mattel toot sweet tootsie roll candy whistle maker, 90% complete in original box, molds and press. To the best of my knowledge this set is missing only one mold: half of the whistle mold. Box is in good to fair condition, a 8 out of 10 with some corner wear and signs of age. Pamphlet not present, but use of toy is self-explanatory/intuitive. Date on box is 1969. Game is being sold AS-IS with no returns excepted. Serious inquiries only to aswope@hotmail.com

21. Keith Holder says:

I was recently talking about this toy with some co-workers. They were giving out tootsie and I said I dont eat them because of this tootsie roll press toy I had as a kid.

I have a half brother and 2 half sisters who grew up in the 60’s and they left it behind. My younger sister and I and our friends would make mold, after mold, after mold.

Of course our mother sold ours at a garage sale, and now that I have kids of my own, want to get my hands on one so they can play with it.

if anyone has one that works, and may be missing parts, I am mainly interested in them being able to make whistles.

keithmholder@gmail.com

22. Joseph Reyes says:

anyone have this available? i would love to have one for my mom she had this as a girl and would probably fall on the floor – let me know please

23. Angela Swope says:

I have one available. See my post dated 6-19-13 above. Unfortunately it is missing one half of the whistle mold…

24. Sandra says:

I had one of these as a child, in 1968. I was nine years old. I was just telling my son about the only toy that stands out in my mind. I decided to google it and was pleasantly surprised to find it. I sure would love to own one. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some good memories!