iron-man

Complete Set of Opening Credits to the Marvel Cartoons of the 1960s with Lyrics

iron-man

Marvel has been putting out some great movies and I have been a Marvel comic reader since before I can remember, but I am almost certain that my first exposure to the Marvel Universe, was in the form of repeats of the cartoons Marvel put together in the late 1960s. The show, were produced in Canada and premiered in syndication in 1966. The show would air 5 nights a week with a different hero featured on each night. Here is the weekly lineup.

• Monday – Captain America
  • Tuesday – The Incredible Hulk
  • Wednesday – The Invincible Iron Man
  • Thursday – The Mighty Thor
  • Friday – Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner

Whoever made the natural conclusion that The Mighty Thor should be broadcast on Thors-day is a freakin’ genius.

Now the animation may not have be top drawer (although the art was) and the stories often felt 2nd hand (they were actually lifted straight from the comics), but the musical intros to these cartoons have left an undeniable splash on American pop culture. Now, as a case in point, I have a 6 year old nephew and he knows the words to the 1960s cartoon Spider-Man theme song. How is that even possible? Have these things become genetic at this point? I don’t know, but I love it.

How many can you sing along to?

The Marvel Super Heroes (1966)

Meet the sulky over-bulky kinda’ hulky superhero
Optimistic and electrically transistored superhero
An exotically neurotic and aquatic superhero
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrived!

Super powered from the forehead to the toes
Watch them change their very shape before your nose
See a cane-striking superhero change to Viking superhero
A humdingin’ real swinging shield flinging superhero
They’re the latest they’re the greatest ultimatest superheroes
The Marvel Super Heroes have arrived!

Spider-Man (1967)

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size, catches thieves just like flies
Look Out! Here comes the Spiderman.

Is he strong? Listen bud, he’s got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread take a look overhead
Hey, there There goes the Spiderman.

In the chill of night at the scene of a crime
Like a streak of light he arrives just in time.

Spiderman, Spiderman. Friendly neighborhood Spiderman
Wealth and fame, he’s ignored Action is his reward.
To him, life is a great big bang up whenever there’s a hang up you’ll find the Spiderman

Captain America (1966)

When Captain America throws his mighty shield,
All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.
If he’s lead to a fight and a duel is due,
Then the red and the white and the blue’ll come through.
When Captain America throws his mighty shield.

The Mighty Thor (1966)

’Cross the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard,
Where the booming heavens roar,
You’ll behold in breathless wonder,
The God of Thunder, Mighty Thor!

The Fantastic Four (1967)

Instrumental

The Hulk (1966)

Doc Bruce Banner,
Belted by gamma rays,
Turned into the Hulk.

Ain’t he unglamo-rays!

Wreckin’ the town
With the power of a bull,

Ain’t no monster clown
Who is as lovable.

As ever-lovin’ Hulk! HULK! HULK!

Iron Man (1966)

Tony Stark makes you feel
He’s a cool exec with a heart of steel.

As Iron Man, all jets ablaze,
He’s fighting and smiting with repulsor rays!

Amazing armor! That’s Iron Man!
A blazing power! That’s Iron Man!

Sub Mariner (1966)

Stronger than a whale
He can swim anywhere
He can breathe under water
And go flying through the air
The noble Sub Mariner

Prince of the deep
So, beware you deadly demons
Lord Namor of Atlantis,
Is the Prince of the Deep.

26 thoughts on “Complete Set of Opening Credits to the Marvel Cartoons of the 1960s with Lyrics

1. I loved the Marvel comics, but the only cartoon of those that I remember watching was Spiderman.

I would have loved the others because my favorite comic was The Avengers. I always liked Thor and those others, even the grumpy Sub-mariner.

I read those comics for years and years, but sadly did not have the opportunity to watch the cartoons. I don’t even think they were broadcast in my area.

Fun stuff.

2. The second line of “The Marvel Super-Heroes Have Arrived!” — which you transcribed as ” A tuned-in-istic and electrically transistored super-heroe” — actually goes “Altruistic and electrically transistored [? – or ‘transistic’?] super-hero” if you listen carefully.

3. Rick C says:

I think that second line is likely to be, “A duplistic and electrically transistor-ed super-hero.” “Duplistic” being a made-up form of “duplicity,” referring to Tony Stark’s dual identity (which is mentioned in his own theme song). (Another example of a made-up word in the song is, “ultimatest.”)

I’m certain it’s not “tuned-in-istic” or “altruistic.”

4. Mike says:

The second line sounds like “A two-fist-ic and electrically transistored super hero” In reference to the close-up shot of Iron Man’s fists.

5. Mary Jane Watson says:

Oh, we’re proofreading now? OK, then the second last line of the Marvel Super-Heroes one has three mighty mistakes.

1) Their –> They’re
    2) the the –> the
    3) ultimatist –> ultimatest

(See, they’re not really ultimatists. Well, maybe Namor, but he’s kind of a dick anyway.)

6. Rick C says:

D’oh! It’s “Two-fisted.” Has to be. Sounds right, makes sense, fits the image, and doesn’t require crazy word creation. And it slant rhymes with “transistored”

I think it’s just the muffled quality of the audio that creates audio illusions, like the sound of an “pl” in the middle, or “-ic” at the end.

If I listen and think “duplistic,” I can still hear it, but if I listen and think “two-fisted” I can hear that. But I’m casting my vote for “two-fisted.”

7. Thanks for the feedback and the spellcheck. Your changes have all been put in place and the post is better for it.

“In Detroit in the 1970’s, Thor aired on Fridays and Sub Mariner aired on Thursdays.” = Blasphemy!

8. Jim says:

This was great watching this!I use to watch the super heroes every day after school! Super heroes came before home work always! I could still remember many of the words to the theme songs for each! I always wanted to be a super hero back then ! I have to admit sometimes I think about becoming one at times but being over 50 now I might be alittle old! I had herd that Thor might be coming to big screen.I believe I herd something about Captain America also! I believe Disney has or will take them over and then we should see more the super heroes again!! Thankyou for bringing back memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Dan G says:

I too was a childhood victim ! We used to get up on Sat Morn and watch these while eating our kid fave Graham crackers w/ whipped cream cheese…. try it you’ll like it. Have always remembered the Captain America song ( missed one line ) . Haven’t sen this since I was 7 yrs old .I would like to find namor , iron man and the early ff stuff anybody help ?

10. Although introduced to them in the late ’90s, I love the “Marvel Superheroes” cartoons. There’s just something cool about the limited animation (with the exception of “Spider-Man” of course). This is long overdue for a complete, comprehensive DVD release.

11. german colin says:

The spanish intro song was performed by Memo aguirre aka captain memo and sound like new wave rock song…. is great….. I watched it in half 80

12. Ellie May Clampett says:

My sister and I would watch these on channel 53 in Pittsburgh every afternoon after school was out…at the babysitters house in the late 60s…..

I can still think how this was all on B/W tv with the funny circle antenna.

13. Bryan says:

Thanks for the videos. I watched these every Saturday morning as a kid. BTW in the lyrics for the Marvel Superheroes them, it is not “A two fistic”. It is “altruistic”.

14. Funkster says:

Hi, does anyone know who wrote these theme songs & who performs them ? I’ve asked Marvel twice and they didn’t answer me :(

15. Kim Metzger says:

I always thought the line from Spidey’s theme was “Welcome, then, he’s ignored, Action is his reward.”