Rice Krispie Treats were a delicious and fairly common weekend dessert at my family home when I was growing up. Sadly they never lasted long. We would cut them into nine squares and we would fight over those nine like they were the last bits of food on the planet. While those went quick, there was another cereal based treat that went even faster, Golden Graham S’Mores.
We went nuts for them!
After my Grandmother would whip up a batch she had to guard them or hide them because even before they cooled we would be picking at the pan. She said she didn’t make them much because the Golden Grahams were a pricier cereal, but I think the real reason was that she feared the madness that they stirred up in all of us.
Once these golden chocolate marshmallow treats were available, nothing coud stop our sugar-fueled lust for them. Even after the pan had been licked clean, we could not be sated. Instantly the cries went our for more! More!
Here is the classic commercial that helped boost the awareness of this delicious treat.
You can find lots of recipes online for Golden Graham Smores. This is the one I use:
- 8 cups Golden Grahams™ cereal
- 10 ounces of miniature marshmallows
- 9 ounces of milk chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of water
- Use butter to Grease 13×9-inch pan with butter.
- Put a cup of marshmallows to the side.
- In a pot, slowly heat the rest of the marshmallows, butter, sugar and water stirring often until fully melted.
- Put cereal in a large bowl.
- Pour heated mixture over the cereal and stir until coated. Then stir in the cup of marshmallows you put aside.
- Take all of this and place in the greased pan, pressing it firmly.
- Let sit until cool and then cut into squares.
- Repeat until the Smores Madness subsides.