Hi, my name is Brian Boone. I’m a regular contributor on this site, writing primarily about forgotten junk food and obscure fads of the 1980s. All of us contributors love talking up retro stuff here, but we each also have our own thing. For example, Tupa’s a cartoonist, Peachy composes electronic music. As for me, I’m a rock nerd.
It just so happens I’ve written and just released a book of trivia and little-known stories behind classic rock and pop songs, albums, and artists. It’s called I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll (Except When I Hate It): Extremely Important Stuff About the Songs and Bands You Love, Hate, Love to Hate and Hate to Love.
This is not a typical, staid pop culture trivia book. As I’m a passionate music fan, I both celebrate the moments of genius and masterpiece creation while reveling in the glorious failure of bad ideas. It’s all about the highs and lows of pop and rock, from the ‘60s through to now, so music geeks and retro enthusiasts have much to savor, such as:
• The time Disney tried to reinvent Devo as a kids band
• How bands got their names
• Working titles of classic albums
• How all bands relate to the Pixies
• The early, pre-fame missteps of Lenny Kravitz and Billy Joel; and the post-fame missteps of Garth Brooks and Peter Frampton
• The story behind the worst song of all time (it involves rap and a Beach Boy)
Latest posts by Brian Boone (see all)
- LaToya Jackson’s “Heart Don’t Lie” - July 18, 2014
- M.A.S.K., the Cartoon and Toy Line, Not the Deeply Sad Eric Stoltz Movie - July 16, 2014
- MTV’s Mega-Dose - June 30, 2014