It is an amazing thing when a show that is so well done and so well regarded goes without a DVD release for a year or two. So it always blew my mind that The Larry Sanders Show was not available on DVD. That of course changed this month and no, this month was not the start of some piecemeal release process. Just this week Shout! Factory, that wondrous fulfiller of DVD dreams released the whole kit and caboodle and I am still reeling from the comic gold that is sitting on my desk.
So for those not familiar, The Larry Sanders Show takes a sometimes cynical, often uncomfortable, but always hilarious behind the scenes look at a fictitious late night talk show helmed by Larry Sander (Garry Shandling). He has an amazing supporting case like his producer Artie played by Rip Torn and his sidekick “Hey Now” Hank Kingsley, played by Jeffrey Tambor and many many more. All of it excellently acted and so well written and paced that I was hooked from day one and watched the show religiously. Before HBO had the Sopranos, this was the reason you needed HBO. The show ran from 1992 to 1998 and then Garry decided to call it quits and the show ended. As a fan, I was stunned, the show was still at the height of its comedic powers and then it was gone. I watched it in reruns, but it always bothered me that they never released them on DVD. But good things comes to those who wait.
This set contains all 89 original episodes on 17 discs, but wait, their is so much more. You will also get…
* Introduction by Garry Shandling
* All-New Deleted Scenes
* All-New Outtakes (bloopers)
* Garry’s Lecture At USC
* 60-Page Collector’s Book featuring essays from Howard Rosenberg and Jeffrey Tambor
* The Making Of The Larry Sanders Show: Feature-Length Documentary
* Garry Shandling And Judd Apatow On “The Writer’s Process”
* Interviews With Cast
* Garry Shandling’s Personal Visits With Guest Stars Alec Baldwin, Sharon Stone, David Duchovny, Tom Petty, Jon Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, Jerry Seinfeld And Carol Burnett
* Commentaries by Garry Shandling, Judd Apatow, Peter Tolan and Todd Holland
This is a whole series you are getting here and that alone is a great value. Add to that the extras and you have a great must-own set that I am happy to have in my collection and I think it would make a great gift for the comedy lover in your life.
Pick up you copy of The Larry Sanders Show – The Complete Series on DVD via Amazon or via Shout! Factory (with bonus free hat)