October just ain’t a month for scary movies anymore. I am spending every extra minute of my day watching movies and writing and I feel like I am hardly making a dent in these Bogart films. I was lucky enough to get through the newly released Blu-Ray version of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The movie looks and sounds great. The clean slick B&w makes the movie seem even more tense and powerful and while I will always like Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon more, having this high quality version of the film makes it so much more watchable.
Here is a little summary of the film for those unacquainted:
Gold in the hills, avarice in the hearts of men. Two hard-luck drifters (Humphrey Bogart and Tim Holt) and a grizzled prospector (Walter Huston) discover gold. Then greed and paranoia set in. John Huston won Academy Awards for his direction and screenplay. And his dad took the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Without awards, but with enduring acclaim, is Bogart’s performance, transforming from a likable hobo to a heartless thug simmering in greed. Treasures place on the American Film Institute’s Top 100 American Films list reaffirms it’s still a powerful movie.
With this disc, not only do you get a great transfer of an Academy Award winning film, you also get a decent amount of extras, including:
* Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax
* Featurette: Discovering Treasure: The Story of The Treasure of theSierra Madre
* Feature-length documentary profile: John Huston
* Classic cartoon 8 Ball Bunny
* Warner Night at the Movies 1948 short subjects gallery
* Joe McDoakes comedy short So You Want to Be a Detective
* Classic cartoon Hot Cross Bunny
* Trailers of this movie and 1948’s Key Largo
* Audio-only bonus: Radio show adaptation featuring the movie’s original stars
I still have so much Bogart to get through (it will probably extend in November), but I can say the first two movies have been great. So much more to look forward to from the incredibly talented Bogart.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre [Blu-ray] [@] Amazon
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- I don’t really like New Coke, but it was worth buying it again - June 16, 2019
- Basic Math for the Atari 2600 - June 12, 2019
- Barnstorming for the Atari 2600 - June 6, 2019