I am a Bogart fan. What is not to like about this guy when he is on screen. He has charisma in spades and he can bring subtlety to even the most flatly written tough guy. I have been making my way through the recent Bogart Collection and will be posting about it soon. The other night I had the opportunity to sit down and watch two Bogart classic that recently arrived on Blu-Ray. The first I watched is one my favorite Bogart films, The Maltese Falcon.
For those not familiar
A gallery of high-living lowlifes will stop at nothing to get their sweaty hands on a jewel-encrusted falcon. Detective Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) wants to find out why–and who’ll take the fall for his partner’s murder. An all-star cast (including Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr.) joins Bogart in this crackling mystery masterwork written for the screen (from Dashiell Hammett’s novel) and directed by John Huston. This nominee for 3 Academy Awards00Best Picture, Supporting Actor (Greenstreet) and Screenplay (Huston)–catapulted Bogart to stardom and launched Huston’s directorial career. All with a bird and a bang!
This is a great Blu-Ray film. The movie looks and sound great and while the film is lighter on extras then some of the other DVD releases that went before it, their is certainly enough for any hardcore fan. On this disc you get:
* Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax
* Featurette The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird
* Breakdowns of 1941: Studio blooper reel
* Makeup tests
* Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
* Warner Night at the Movies 1941 short subjects gallery: Newsreel, musical short The Gay Parisian, 2 classic cartoons: Hiawatha’s Rabbit Hunt and Meet John Doughboy
* Trailers of This Movie, 1941’s Sergeant York and 1936’s previous Falcon movie adaptation Satan Met a Lady
* Audio-only bonus: 3 radio show adaptations–two featuring the movie’s original stars, plus another starring Edward G. Robinson
Not bad right? Well what are you waiting for, order your copy of of The Maltese Falcon on Blu-Ray today.
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- I don’t really like New Coke, but it was worth buying it again - June 16, 2019
- Basic Math for the Atari 2600 - June 12, 2019
- Barnstorming for the Atari 2600 - June 6, 2019