Why should you watch Piranha? I would think this brief description should send you running to get it….
Mutant piranha escape from a secret research station and head downriver towards a summer camp and a small town’s lakeside tourist attraction. A gruff loner and a daffy private eye race against time to try to stop the creatures.
If that isn’t enough for you. Take a gander at this wonderful box art and read on….
Roger Corman has a real talent for grabbing people on the way up and utilizing their talents. Usually that adds justs a little sparkle to his B films. But sometimes you get a convergence of those talents on one project and the results are very special. Special because that is when a B-movie moves from popcorn fodder to cult classic. That is exactly what happened with the film Piranha. Besides a good cast, you get three very talented people behind the scenes, all of whom help to elevate the film. The movie, is directed by Joe Dante (Gremlins, The Howling), was written by John Sayles (Return of the Secaucus Seven, Matewan) and had Makeup FX by Rob Bottin (Total Recall, The Thing). It is the perfect sort of B-movie storm that got wide exposure following the success of the movie, Jaws. The film is wonderfully improbable and while no one will ever compare it to say, Casablanca, it is a classic in its own right.
I remember catching the film late one night in the early 80s and pretty much every copy I have seen has been a ratty video copy of a TV version. Well no more, I got myself a brand new copy of the film from Shout Factory! and its like watching the movie for the first time again. Not only does the film look and sound great though, but it is all chock full of extras:
* The pretty amazing Lenticular cover (see above). I usually don’t enjoy these sort of things, but this one is particularly well done.
* Audio commentary with director Joe Dante and producer Jon Davison
* Behind-the-scenes footage
* “The Making of Piranha” featurette with new interviews from Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Dick Miller, Belinda Balaski and many More
* Bloopers and outtakes
* Piranha trailer with commentary by producer Jon Davison – Courtesy of Trailers From Hell
* Stills gallery with photos and posters from around the world
* Behind-the-scenes stills gallery featuring photos from Phil Tippett’s personal collection
* Additional scenes from the network television version
* Radio and TV spots
* New World trailers
If you like horror films, you will enjoy Piranha. You can pick up a copy of the Deluxe DVD from Shout Factory! or Amazon. Oh, and if Blu-Ray is more your thing, you can pick that up as well from Shout Factory! or Amazon. Just make sure you keep your hands out of the water.
Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)
- Retroist Sega Genesis Podcast - March 12, 2018
- I understand the negative reaction to Ready Player One - March 7, 2018
- Retroist Press Your Luck Podcast - March 5, 2018