Tales of the Gold Monkey: The Complete Series FINALLY on DVD

When I lay in bed at night dreaming of old TV and wishing for shows to be released, I always assumed that this wishes drifted up into the ether and mixed with birthday wishes; coalesced and eventually fell as warm spring rain. Not anymore though, because at some point in the last decade, Shout Factory must have installed some sort of TV DVD wish catcher and they have been using this technology to rapidly move through the backlog of shows that I have always wanted to see again. This week they released the very awesome and of requested adventure show, Tales of the Gold Monkey. I will not gush about the show more then needed… You can learn more about the show and my high opinion of it in my Tales of the Gold Monkey Podcast.

Now that I got that out of the way lets talk about the DVD:

In a backwater corner of the South Pacific a young American adventurer and his ragtag group of friends become involved in death defying hi-jinx, transporting people-on-the-run in a well-worn Grumman Goose seaplane. Set in 1938, this series captures the ambiance and character of a mysterious romantic era. Broadcast by ABC in 1982, this series became a massive hit following the success of Indiana Jones’s Raiders of the Lost Ark. Fabulous Films proudly present the complete series for your entertainment pleasure, here finally on DVD!

The DVD set which is dedicated to the late great Jeff Mackay has the complete run of the series on it, which is itself is a major accomplishment. But they didn’t stop at a simple episode release, Shout Factory also includes:

• The Original Double Length Pilot Episode
  • Brand New 36 Minute “Making of” Documentary featuring Stephen Collins (Jack Cutter), Caitlin O’Heaney (Sarah Stickney White), writer-producer Tom Greene and Harvey Laidman (one of the directors for the series).
  • Audio commentaries
  • Photo gallery
  • Series synopsis and biographies
  • Character Sarah Stickney White’s original costume gallery
  • Artifacts gallery
  • 24-page collector’s booklet
  • All of it gravy on a great show that was killed well before it should have been. Now though, thanks to Shout Factory, the Tales can be told again and again. So if you want to watch some quality adventure TV this summer, drop by and pick up a copy from Shout Factory today.

Tales of the Gold Monkey: The Complete Series [@] Shout Factory

tales of the gold monkey dvd

Garry Vander Voort

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
    The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)

* indicates required

9 thoughts on “Tales of the Gold Monkey: The Complete Series FINALLY on DVD

1. VicSage2005 says:

You can bet your bottom dollar that I’ll be picking this up tomorrow! How many audio commentaries does it have by the way, is it just for one or is it multiple episodes?

2. vinvectrex says:

This is indeed a happy day for retro DVD collectors. I had a previous version from VHS taped episodes – but they were pretty much unwatchable. I’m really looking forward to this!

3. Robert Holt says:

About the audio commentaries. They are amazing. I was never a fan of these, since usually they were done by someone with a big ego, who wanted to fluff their own feathers (using the pronoun “I” as many times as possible). Also, it didn’t seem to matter if you were watching the show with it or not, since they’d go off on long and boring stories that had nothing to do with what you were watching. NOT HERE! All the commentaries are done by Tom Greene, who was a writer-producer and the show. I imagine they purposely had him do commentaires on shows that he not only produced, but either wrote or co-wrote. For anyone who is a “Gold Monkey” nut like me, or even someone who never saw the show, his stories, insights, and look behind the camera are just wonderful. And you can see that he is actually watching the show as he talks, and commenting on what is on the screen. The fact that this was, what, twenty-five years ago, and Greene has done a ton of stuff since then, you really are astonished by his recall. But, it’s obvious that this was one of his favorite shows, and when you are working on something you truly love, you remember everything (yes, my first love Linda, I remember everything about her as well)! Also, if you are a “student” of film making and especially writing, this is better than any college course. You really get a step by step education on just how a story is constructed. I’ve bored many a writer by asking the universal question: “how do you people get your ideas”. Greene answers that in every episode, and some of them are a knock out! His story about how he came up with the volcano show is hysterical for example. They are all excellent, but the one he does for “Last Chance Louie”, for me goes into my award book as perhaps the best commentary I’ve ever heard from any DVD I’ve had. It’s obvious that this show especially was a very emotional one for him, and the story about Steve Collins falling in love with his guest star (they are still married today), could be a movie in itself. The best part is that Tom Greene gives credit where credit is due. It’s obvious that his talent and energy drove a lot of the show, but he continually gives credit not only to his co-writer over and over, but to other members of the cast and crew. In fact, he makes pokes fun at himself, more than praises himself. It’s like having your favorite Uncle at your house telling you war stoires. Greene is a natural. TMC or TVLand should pick him up to do commentaries on other things as well. It’s obious that his knowledge of TV and movies is Encyclopedic, and he is wonderfully charming and fun to listen to. He has some moments also on the “making of” documentary as well, so you can see what he looks like. Like your favorite teacher in high school! Maybe if they do a blu-ray vesion they can get him to do more commentaries.

4. Friends, I was able to pick up the last copy at Best Buy today. My enjoyment was shattered later when I showed the set to my wife and she didn’t know what it was. Sigh.

@RobertHolt Looking forward to listening to some of the commentaries when I get off work!

5. Spottedfeather says:

Your wife isn’t alone. I’d never heard of the show until I started surfing retro websites. Never seen a single episode !

6. Rose J Armstrong says:

I second the praise of the commentaries but I also want to say a few words about the “Making Of” that these people did for this delicious box set. Most of it is with Stephen Collins, the star of the show. And for good reason. Everyone is good, but Stephen really shows why they show worked. It had him in it. He exudes such warmth, intelligence, humility, strength and humor! Just like his character on the show. I’m sure they filmed lots of footage for this doc, and I only hope that in new version someday, they add more of him. All of him, in fact! Just as I could (and did, and now will again) watch him for hours and hours, I can watch him talk (as himself) for hours and hours again. What a treat to have him in my living-room! Ahh, if only I could have him in my living room!

7. Beau G. says:

Hey, Rose. Cool down now! And give us guys a turn. Someone needs to talk about the actress who played Sarah. I never saw her before or since, but it was like she came right off the screen of a 1930’s classic. And, oh that voice! Her delicate features, sexy figure, strength, intelligence and beauty. And she looked older, yes, but still so beautiful in the “Making Of” bonus film. And if only I could have HER in MY living room! They don’t make them like that anymore, and I fear they may never have. It’s only in the movies. I love this series and have bought a dozen of the box sets to give to friends. The greatest gift to give people something this special.