A couple of movies make it into my DVD player every Holiday season. Chief amongst them is the Dr. Seuss classic, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”. This story is a timeless holiday treasure about a grinchy Grinch who discovers the true meaning of Christmas, only after trying to ruin it.
I always have my doubts about watching something so near and dear to my heart in a new format. I had gotten so used to watching recorded television versions that I was shocked when I first saw it on DVD. That is exactly how my first impression of the Blu-Ray version struck me. The colors are richer and more vibrant then I have ever seen and it can be startling, but this is why you get HD movies, to rediscover them, but the picture is just the tip of the iceberg. This disc is loaded with extras, including:
* Audio Commentary: Voice actress June Foray and animator Phil Roman reflect on their contributions to the film.
* Dr. Seuss and the Grinch: From Whoville to Hollywood
* Songs in the Key of Grinch: Tony-winning composer Albert Hague and Thurl Ravenscroft discuss their work on the film.
* Song Selections: Listen to four songs from the film– the film’s “Opening,” “Trim Up the Tree,” “Welcome, Christmas,” and “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch.”
* “TNT’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas” Special Edition: Coll documentary hosted by late Phil Hartman hosts, that has documentary’s interviews with animator/producer/co-director Chuck Jones.
* Grinch Pencil Test: Storyboards
* Who’s Who in Whoville: Bos for Chuck Jones, Dr. Seuss, Boris Karloff, and June Foray.
and one of my favorite bouns features
* DVD and Digital Copies of the filmm: Warner has included a standard DVD version of the film ands a Digital Copy.
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- Retroist Halloween II Podcast - October 18, 2018
- Pepsi Super Nintendo Training Camp with Bo Jackson - October 16, 2018
- Do you remember this Froot Loops and Aliens Crossover Commercial? - October 9, 2018