Disney has restored it’s animated classic, Pinocchio, and I could not be happier. I got the 2-Disc Platinum edition Blu-ray disc. Disney did a smart thing with this BR release. They added a DVD version of the disc for non-BR players. This is great for people who own a single Blu-ray player, but might want to watch the movie on their standard DVD player. It is this type of thinking that will really bolster Blu-ray purchases and I expect many will continue this trend.
The picture on the standard edition looks clean enough. Fairly Standard stuff, but The Blu-ray transfer looks amazing. I have seen Pinocchio many times in my life, three times in the theaters, but this is by far the nicest image I have ever seen. When watching it, keep in mind that this movie was made in 1940, it is not in widescreen.
The audio had also been upgraded. The BR had 7.1 Sound while the DVD version has 5.1. I am not much of an audiophile, but it sounds pretty good in my living room.
This two disc set is filled with bonus features. Here is a breakdown:
• Pinocchio’s Matter of Facts – – Learn fun facts about Pinocchio and other related subjects as you
watch the movie.
• Audio Commentary — An all-new audio commentary with Leonard Maltin, Eric Goldberg and J. B.
• Disney Song Selection — Select this option to sing along with favorite songs as the lyrics appear
• No Strings Attached: The Making of Pinocchio – – Witness the behind-the scenes magic that
transformed Carlo Collodi’s popular book into a classic animated film.
• Deleted Scenes —
The Story of the Grandfather Tree – – Kindly Geppetto tells Pinocchio about the Great Pine
Tree from which Pinocchio is descended.
In The Belly Of The Whale – – The most elaborate of Pinocchio’s deleted scenes that remain
in the Disney Archives, these recently discovered storyboards reveal a different version of
Geppetto inside Monstro.
• Alternate Ending – – A recently uncovered set of small storyboard panels reveal plans for a different
version of Pinocchio becoming a real boy.
• The Sweat Box – – The Sweatbox was a small projection room at the Disney studio where Walt
critiqued story reels, rough animation, and dailies of films in progress with his anxious artists. This
piece traces the history of the Sweatbox and brings to life this important part of Walt Disney’s artistic
• Live Action Reference Footage
• Pinocchio Art Galleries
• Deleted Songs – – An audio collection of period “pop” recordings of songs that not used in the final film.
• Pinocchio Puzzles – – Hosted by Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio’s Puzzles is a multi-tiered Puzzle game that
contains six unique wooden puzzles for the viewer to assemble. Each puzzle forms an image from the
film that comes to life once they are complete.
BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES
* Disney BD-Live Network features only available in the U.S.
Includes the movie plus …
• Disney BD-Live Network – The Disney BD-Live Network is just one of the many ways movie lovers,
families, and loved ones can continue to stay connected and engage in their favorite movies.
Includes all DVD bonus content plus:
• Pinocchio Knows Trivia Challenge
I am a big Disney fan and really enjoy the animation style and story of Pinocchio. I always get excited whenever a Disney movie I do not own gets released and Pinocchio does not disappoint. So drop by your local video store or stop by Amazon and order your copy.
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- 1984 Pay N Save Coupon Book - September 10, 2017
- Remember when Mickey Mouse decided to commit suicide? - August 30, 2017
- Dukes of Hazzard Boss Hogg Action Figure - August 23, 2017