To Live and Die in L.A. is a 1985 masterpiece of a film by William Friedkin. Granted you shouldn’t expect anything less from the man who directed both 1971’s The French Connection and 1973’s The Exorcist. Throw in a soundtrack by none other than Wang Chung and it is obvious why this is an 80s classic!
[Via] Wang Chung Vevo
It only stands to reason that Shout! Factory would pick To Live and Die in L.A. as being worthy. Worthy of being released as part of their Shout Select line of films that is. The eighth movie to get that treatment in fact. Just last week I presented my thoughts on their Blu-Ray release of Death of a Salesman.
Now I’m going to make a bold statement here. So I want you to prepare yourself. Williem Dafoe’s performance in this movie is better than his role in 1984’s Streets of Fire. I know! I’ve said it and I mean it. I should also add that is even with Dafoe’s epic sledgehammer duel in Streets of Fire!
Besides Dafoe, To Live and Die in L.A. boasts the talents of other fantastic actors. Like William Petersen, John Pankow, Debra Feuer, Dean Stockwell, Darlanne Fluegel, and John Turturro.
So tell us…briefly…what To Live and Die in L.A is all about!
Happy too. Richard Chance (Petersen) and his partner John Vukovich (Pankow) are Secret Service agents. The two are at loggerheads as to how to arrest countefeiter extraordanaire Rick Masters (Dafoe). John wants to follow the letter of the law and Chance is all too happy to cross the line to nail Masters. Bear in mind that the counterfeiter is responsible for killing Chance’s former partner.
So the moral question is…how far across the line will Chance and Vukovich cross? Brutality? Extortion? Murder?
To Live and Die in L.A. is an entertaining action/thriller. Absolutely wonderful acting throughout coupled with a taut screenplay by Friedkin and Gerald Petievich. Gerald is also the author of the book the film is based on and happens to be a former Secret Service agent!
This is a Shout! Factory release so that means special features!
You have a nice selection of bonus material for this release:
- NEW 4K Scan Of The Negative Supervised And Approved By William Friedkin
- NEW Taking A Chance – An Interview With William Petersen
- NEW Wrong Way: The Stunts Of To Live And Die In L.A. – An Interview With Stunt Coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker
- NEW So In Phase: Scoring To Live And Die In L.A. – An Interview With The Band Wang Chung (Jack Hues And Nick Feldman)
- NEW Renaissance Woman In L.A. – An Interview With Actress Debra Feuer
- NEW Doctor For A Day – An Interview With Actor Dwier Brown
- Audio Commentary With Director William Friedkin
- Deleted Scene And Alternate Ending
- Counterfeit World: The Making Of To Live And Die In L.A.
- Still Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
- Radio Spot
You can totally pick up To Live and Die in L.A. this Tuesday at better dealers everywhere. Of course you can
still pre-order purchase the Blu-Ray Collector’s Edition over at Amazon.
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- Check Out The Rogue One…VHS Trailer?! - March 28, 2017
- Celebrate Atari Day With This 1982 Alien Commercial For The Atari 2600! - March 26, 2017
- Do You Remember Mego’s Clown Around Figurines? - March 25, 2017