With Bubba Ho-Tep Don Coscarelli delivers an absolutely stunning film. Of course being a devotee to Coscarelli’s Phantasm series and 1982’s The Beastmaster might make that statement suspect. However I would point out that Coscarelli not only created a movie that has laughs, scares, but heart.
Furthermore Bubba Ho-Tep manages to combine all of that and it works. As a matter of fact it does more than work it as it trancends it’s source material. When all is said and done, Coscarelli gifts the audience with a poignant movie about not just battling evil – but the very real fear of growing old and being left behind.
Of course Bubba Ho-Tep is also about Elvis Presley and John F. Kennedy fighting an evil mummy. With the battleground chosen being none other than a retirement home. John F. Kennedy by the way happens to be wheelchair bound and played by the late great Ossie Davis. Did I forget to mention that Bruce Campbell portrays Elvis Presley?
Yeah. To say this movie is in fact magical is an understatement.
So what is Bubba Ho-Tep about?
An ancient evil in the form of a mummy begins to stalk the elderly residents of the Shady Rest Retirement Home. After all who best to prey on than those who are ignored and in some cases too weak to defend themselves?
Thankfully to put a stop to the threat – or at least try to is Elvis and JFK. It should go without saying that a running gag throughout the film is whether these two men…are just crazy. But the strength of Coscarelli’s direction and his screenplay which is based on the story by Joe R. Lansdale – in addition to the powerhouse performances by Campbell and Davis keep you emotionally invested throughout.
Having said that the film never forgets that in the end it belongs to the horror genre.
So did Scream Factory load up the Blu Ray with goodies?
Are you kidding? Of course they did. Thank you, thank you very much.
- NEW Audio Commentary With Author Joe R. Lansdale
- NEW All Is Well – An Interview With Writer/Director Don Coscarelli
- NEW The King Lives! – An Interview With Star Bruce Campbell
- NEW Mummies And Make-up – An Interview With Special Effects Artist Robert Kurtzman
- Audio Commentary By Don Coscarelli And Bruce Campbell
- Audio Commentary By “The King”
- Deleted Scenes With Optional Commentary By Don Coscarelli And Bruce Campbell
- “The Making Of Bubba Ho-Tep” Featurette
- “To Make A Mummy” Make-up And Effects Featurette
- “Fit For A King” Elvis Costuming Featurette
- “Rock Like An Egyptian” Featurette About The Music Of Bubba Ho-Tep
- Joe R. Lansdale Reads From Bubba Ho-Tep
- Archival Bruce Campbell Interviews
- Music Video
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Still Gallery
So you can totally get off work or school on Tuesday and watch the elections. However I would offer that you could totally go out and pick up Bubba Ho-Tep on Blu-Ray. So why not spend the evening with Elvis and JFK for some laughs and fears – and explosions?
If you don’t feel like heading out you can still pre-order your copy at Scream Factory!
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Revelations - July 13, 2017
- Netflix’s Castlevania Is A Bloody Good Time! - July 7, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer By Way Of The Apple IIc! - June 30, 2017