In 1981 when Escape from New York was originally released I think it took audiences by surprise. At least it certainly did for those at the 62 Drive-In where I first caught the film in my youth.
I’m not joking when I say that at nine I was paying attention when I saw John Carpenter’s name. In 1978 the Director helped start the slasher craze with Halloween. One year later and also at the 62 Drive-In I was able to see The Fog. The same in 1981 when Carpenter really delivered a welcome dose of awesomeness with Escape from New York. Not only did the action/sci-fi film make me a lifelong Kurt Russell fan but it also gave my first taste of apocalyptic movies. Not to mention that I learned what an antihero was after watching the badass that is the core of Snake Plissken.
Now in the movie – in case if you’ve not had the pleasure of seeing it, a Lifeclock helps to keep Plissken motivated. Because when the counter reaches zero it means the end of Snake’s mission to deliver the President back safely. As a matter of fact it means the time to safely administer an antidote to the poison he was injected with has run out too. As has been made clear to Snake from near the beginning of the film.
So please do try to imagine my surprise when I was contacted by e-mail the other day. To let me know about a new Kickstarter that was started up from the Ridgewood Watch Company. Furthermore it is a campaign to deliver an authentic and official replica of the Lifeclock as seen in Escape from New York!
Unlike the model used by Snake Plissken, The Lifeclock One sports a few extra features. Since our society tends to value be connected to each other course. Moreso than a loner like Snake that is. Obviously.
[Via] Lifeclock One
So if you purchase a Lifeclock One for yourself you can look forward to:
- Countdown timer (Hartford Summit configuration only 22:59’:59”)
- Time (standard time / military time)
- Up to 8 world clocks
- Date (five formats)
- Stopwatch (1/100th second)
- 18 display animations, 8 character animations
- Smartphone camera control
- Push notifications for incoming & missed calls, voicemails and messages (SMS & iMessage)
- App notification support: Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, LinkedIn with more to come
- Step counting
To Say Nothing of the fact you’ll like you stepped off the set of Escape from New York!
So now that you want to know more about the Lifeclock One – hop on over to the Official Kickstarter Page! When they ask who sent you…tell ’em it was the Retroist – or Snake!
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- Retro Records: Burger Chef and Jeff Meet Cackleburger - May 28, 2017
- Boldy Go Camping In This Star Trek Shuttlecraft Tent - May 28, 2017
- Celebrate Atari Day With The New Swordquest Comic! - May 26, 2017