John Carpenter’s The Thing is one of the greatest movies ever made. I know that is a pretty bold statement. Almost universally vilified on release 34 years ago it managed to achieve cult film status. Slowly finding the audience over the years that could appreciate this masterpiece of horror.
Thanks to Scream Factory The Thing has been released on Blu-Ray today in a Collector’s Edition. If you count yourself a fan of the movie you need to rush out and pick this up right now.
Yes. I am telling you that this Blu-Ray is that worthy. This is more than a chance to crow about a disc with a new interview here or featurette there. This is hands down one of the most epic releases I have had the privilege of reviewing!
I think I might have watched The Thing on TV once.
You are dead to me for saying that! All my joking aside I realize there are people who haven’t seen the film. In a nutshell the movie concerns an American research station in the Antartic that encounter a shape-shifting alien that can perfectly mimic a living organism.
The problem is twofold. The organism wants to assimilate all life and gets very angry when folks try to stop that.
For the next 109 minutes the viewer is treated to one of the most intense science-fiction/horror films ever. The Thing is claustrophobic and bleak – but also strangely uplifting in the character’s defiant actions. You will actually care about those characters too, thanks to the memorable acting by the ensemble cast. I mean when your film boasts the talents of Kurt Russell, Keith David, Donald Moffat, Wilford Brimley, and Richard Dysart to name a few – you can’t help but have great performances.
Now let’s talk about those Special Features!
On Disc One:
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- NEW Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
- Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
- Teaser Trailer (1 minute)
- Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German) (5 minutes)
- TV Spots (1 minute)
- Radio Spots (2 minutes)
- Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards) (15 minutes)
On Disc Two:
- NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris (28 minutes)
- NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis (51 minutes)
- NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay (11 minutes)
- NEW Behind The Chameleon: The Sights Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle (25 minutes)
- NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth (15 minutes)
- NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster (16 minutes)
- NEW Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
- NEW The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery (12 minutes)
- John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock Plus Members Of The Cast And Crew (80 minutes – SD)
- Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
- Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (13 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (14 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes -SD)
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes -SD)
- Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (54 minutes – SD)
Disc Two Archival Extras:
So why not treat yourself today and pick up The Thing Collector’s Edition on Blu-Ray? You can hop on over to the official Scream Factory site and order your copy or just head out to the stores and grab it from the shelf!
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Revelations - July 13, 2017
- Netflix’s Castlevania Is A Bloody Good Time! - July 7, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer By Way Of The Apple IIc! - June 30, 2017