I can say without a doubt that 1986’s Highlander is hands down one of my favorite cult films. Of all time. If you too count yourself as a devotee to Highlander I have some great news. Lionsgate is releasing that 30th Anniversary Edition on Blu-Ray and DVD tomorrow!
[Via] Latest News Explorer
So what is Highlander about. In a nutshell?
It is about a society of immortals who have hidden their existence from humanity in general. The only way an immortal can be dispatched is to remove their head from their shoulders – which involves epic sword fights. Once done the victor gains the power of the defeated immortal in what they have dubbed ‘the quickening’.
The reason for this is the immortals all want what has been called the Prize. What is it exactly? No immortal is quite sure but it is believed when only one immortal remains they will inherit limitless power. As you might imagine some immortals would use that power to better mankind – others not so much. Like the Kurgan, played wonderfully by Clancy Brown.
This secret war has played out until only a few immortals now remain. Feeling themselves drawn to New York City in the then modern day of 1985. Where Connor MacLeod aka the Highlander must battle not just to keep his own head but for the fate of mankind.
I want to point out another bright spot for Highlander which is the addition of Sean Connery playing Connor’s mentor. A fellow immortal who happens to be a ‘Spanish-Egyptian’ named Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez.
Seriously. Sean Connery is just amazing in this film. While his part is basically to set up the rules of being an immortal and the Prize – he steals the movie. Steals it.
Highlander also boasts what can only be called an incredible soundtrack by Queen. I kid you not it was in constant play – I must have listened to it thousands of times by the time Summer rolled around.
What are the special features for the 30th Anniversary Edition?
- While there is no new commentary for this release that doesn’t mean Lionsgate hasn’t included worthy extras:
- A 4K transfer approved by Director Russell Mulcahy
- Brand-new The Making of Highlander documentary
- New interviews with both Russell Mulcahy and Christopher Lambert
- Archival interview with Christopher Lambert
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio commentary by Director Russell Mulcahy (from previous releases)
You can pick up the 30th Anniversary Edition of Highlander tomorrow at most retailers. Or you can order your DVD or Blu-Ray over on Amazon.
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- Netflix’s The Haunting Of Hill House Trailer Looks Terrifying! - September 20, 2018
- Have You Seen The Stan & Ollie Biopic Trailer Yet? - September 19, 2018
- The Faithful Spy By John Hendrix (Review) - September 17, 2018