I believe I was in the fifth grade when my English Teacher, Mrs. Pennington, first introduced me to not just the works of Isaac Asimov but more importantly his Three Rules of Robotics. In my youth I pretty much never stopped doodling in my notebooks and many times they were equally filled with arcade icons and epic Star Wars dogfights between X-Wing and TIE Fighters or a growing legion of Droids.
It might be while she was grading my homework…that was forced between these little pieces of “art” that she decided that I, Robot might be a book I was interested in. In this case I am afraid she was not correct although I totally grabbed onto the Three Rules of Robotics and would happily quote them to my Family at the drop of my hate when a robot would make an appearance on the A-Team or Riptide, etc.
You probably know the rules by heart already:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Asimov cites a conversation between himself and John W. Campbell (Who Goes There?) in December of 1940 for helping him cement those famous laws although they have been altered by the Author himself and in three stories “First Law”, “Cal” and “Sally” the rules were willfully ignored by machines.
Which brings us to this awesome short film by Factory Fifteen in which ANA, a computer system in a car manufacturing plant becomes sentient and decides to ignore the Three Rules of Robotics in a big way. I also want to give a huge thanks to Kathrarine Trendacosta of io9 for the heads up on this short film in the first place!
Hmm. You know I don’t think ED-209 knew anything about the Three Rules of Robotics either!
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- Celebrate Atari Day With The New Swordquest Comic! - May 26, 2017
- Star Wars Is 40 Years Old Today…I Think I’m Old Now - May 25, 2017
- Netflix Unleashes Castlevania: Vengeance Teaser! - May 24, 2017