Welcome back friends to another installment of Sci-Fi Sunday and with the Holidays just around the corner we decided to bring you a special ‘treat’ for your viewing pleasure, the cult classic ‘Santa Claus Conquers the Martians”!
Originally released in 1964 this film has the distinction of being on the bottom 100 movie list over at the Internet Movie Database. The story deals with the Martian society finding itself becoming too rigid as the educating of their young is all done by machine, it’s not allowing the kids to develop independent thoughts. Thanks to the advice from a wise Martian named Chochem (I didn’t know that it was a Yiddish word meaning genius) a plan is hatched to kidnap Santa Claus from Earth and bring him back to Mars so he can help the Martian children experience what fun is. They know about Santa Claus thanks to two of the children watching a television broadcast from Earth featuring Santa in an interview. To help distinguish the real Santa Claus from all of the store and street corner versions, the Martians kidnap two children to help them find the real deal. Sadly one of the Martians named Voldar so strongly disagrees with this plan of teaching the Martian children to have fun he and his accomplices do their best to try and slay not only Santa but the two Earth children!
Can the Martian children be helped? Can Santa avoid be atomized by Voldar? Watch ‘Santa Claus Conquers the Martians’ and find out for yourself!
A few bits of interesting trivia for this film:
1) The Martian Girl ‘Girmar’ is played by Pia Zadora (Butterfly, Hairspray), this was her film debut.
2) The guns the Martians use in the film are repainted Whammo Air Blasters.
Latest posts by VicSage (see all)
- The Decepticon Shockwave Was In Aliens?! - May 21, 2017
- Teaser Released For Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance! - May 18, 2017
- Visit The Kretcher Motel In The Horror Anthology ‘Forever Vacancy’! - May 14, 2017