The Last Starfighter – Where’s All My Toys!

last-starfighter

“Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.”

I came real close to having that line tattooed on my arm.

As a kid, I watched ‘The Last Starfighter on a continous loop – rewinding the VCR tape as soon as the credits hit the screen. Over and Over. I couldn’t get enough. It was the perfect kid fodder. A video-gaming boy (Alex Rogan) feels he’ll never escape his trailer park home. All he can do is stand around and play the lone arcade available to him – ‘Starfighter’. Next thing Alex knows, he’s recruited as a gunner for an alien defense force. It was the perfect escape for a nerdy kid like me.

But for some strange reason there weren’t any toys available for this movie. Either that, or my mom lied to me. Grrr!

I went on a search to seek the truth. And this is what I discovered!

Last-Starfighter-Lunch-Box

First up – A Last Starfighter Lunchbox! Are you kidding me? Oh if I only knew this existed back then, I would have been the most popular kid in school… Okay… but I would have been happy. Though, I’m a bit disappointed it was plastic.

Now this… this is what makes me go nuts like a Gung Ho Iguana. Action figures! When I stumbled upon these I nearly called my mom to get to the bottom of this. It was the top request on my list for 3 years straight, MOM! But alas, the phone call was never made, for they were just prototypes. The toy company Galoob created several of them, but ultimately the action figures were not produced.

Image via eBay

Image via eBay

But these did exist… and I never knew. A Last Starfighter Halloween mask! Oh what I would have given to go as a Hit Beast. Grigs would have been cool, but a Hit Beast was scarier. I would have run around drooling on everyone.

Last-Starfighter-Coloring-Book

How about a Last Starfigher Activity Book? That would have been cool for those long boring car rides. Or even the Coloring Book.

3D-View-Master-Reels

How about some 3D View Master Reels? There’s three in a pack!

Image via Board Game Geek

Image via Board Game Geek

Or the board game? This was difficult to find. Tunnel Chase. I’m actually tempted to get this just to see how it is. Weird note – it’s for 2-25 players. 25 players?!

Star-League-Patch

I would have loved to have this Star League patch sewn to my winter hat.

The-Last-Starfighter-Door-Poster

Or even this awesome door poster!

Maybe if this stuff was more available Grigs wouldn’t have so much trouble feeding all six thousand of his little grig-lets.

And remember, Death Blossom delivers only one massive volley at close range… theoretically.

12 Responses to The Last Starfighter – Where’s All My Toys!

1. I had Tunnel Chase. I probably still have it somewhere. While 25 people could play it, I imagine the board would be very cluttered.

2. Mike Slade says:

FASA also released this game (and it was compatible with their BattleStar Galactica game) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9569/the-last-starfighter-combat-game

3. Mizphit says:

I did own the View Master reels of The Last Starfighter back in the day. Also had the hardcover storybook of the movie. That’s about it.

4. Paul says:

I want all of these things.

Slightly related. Look at that arcade cabinet. That thing is HUGE.

5. TheSixMillionDollarJedi says:

At least they did some merchandising with it. It makes it easy to collect memorabilia related to that movie.

The action figures have been my #1 choice for a movie that didn’t get a toy line.

Series 1

Alex in Starfighter gear
    Grig
    Xur
    Lord Kril

Vehicle: Starfighter ship

Series 2

Alex in trailer park clothing
    Centauri
    Beta Unit (pre-Alex)
    Kodan Officer

Vehicle: Star Car

6. charltonhero says:

I call for a Reboot. This movie was too good. I would even make sure it was still set in the 80s to keep the vintage aspect intact. Great post..love the shot of the figure prototypes!

7. Retromash says:

Awesome film. And an awesome article. Thanks for writing that! I’m going to have to try to hunt down the ViewMaster reel.

I got the movie novelisation recently and so am going to try to read that soon.

8. TheSixMillionDollarJedi says:

Crap. I should turn in my retro geek card.

It’s a Gunstar. Not a “Starfighter ship.”

9. Daniel XIII says:

Don’t forget the Marvel Comics adaptation of the movie! I read that thing over and over, dreaming how great the movie would be (and it was)! http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Super-Special-Last-Starfighter/dp/B001H9LFFW

10. RetroArt says:

I have the THE LAST STARFIGHTER Vew-Master reels set- it’s great!
    View-Masters are an oft forgotten collectible- they made reels of practically everything!
    THE LAST STARFIGHTER set is uncommon at best in any conditon- so if you come across them, get them!
    Also worth locating is the BUCKAROO BANZAI reels too.

How come I am not surprised that you have that View-Master reel? :P