I watched a lot of Bruce Lee with my friends as a kid and when I worked at a video store in my youth I picked up all of his movies on VHS and a lot of unavailable stuff on tape from hardcore fans who came into the store. For the longest time I depended on those video tapes for my yearly random Bruce Lee marathon that usually takes place after catching a few minutes of one of his films on TV. Slowly but surely though, as DVD prices began to plummet I have been upgrading those tapes.
With summer approaching, I have been feeling like a new marathon ready to start. So it seemed like fate that a new anniversary edition of Enter the Dragon would be released, Enter the Dragon 40th anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray.
If you have never seen the film in HD, you are in for a real treat. The film looks phenomenal. They did a release of the film a half-dozen years ago, but from what I have been reading, it was not remastered. This version has been. While it does not improve the challenging cinematography of this classic film, it is remarkably crisp.
I cannot speak on the merits of sound with the same confidence that I do the picture. I am a poor audiophile, but the sound on this disc sounded really good on my TV. I popped in my DVD to compare and without a doubt it sounded cleaner and richer.
This is a pretty remarkable release. I am not sure how they are going to top it for the inevitable 50th anniversary release. I am not sure they can. I guess they can try to find more extras, but this release has such a good selection, I am not sure what else they could find. Here is what you will get:
- Commentary by producer Paul Heller
- New Featurette No Way As Way
- New Featurette The Return to Han’s Island
- New Featurette Wing Chun: The Art that Introduced Kung Fu to Bruce Lee
- Interview Gallery featuring Lee’s wife, Linda Lee Caldwell
- Vintage pieces
- Backyard Workout with Bruce Lee
- Curse of the Dragon
- Location: Hong Kong with Enter the Dragon
- Blood and Steel: The Making of Enter the Dragon
- Personal Profile Bruce Lee: In His Own Words
- Five trailers
- Seven TV spots
If this sounds impressive, that is because it is and I think it is worth adding to your collection, especially when combined with the upcoming The Bruce Lee Legacy Collection which arrives on August 6, 2013. So if you are a Bruce Lee fan and love Enter the Dragon order, your copy of Enter the Dragon 40th anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray [via] WBShop
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- Video Footage of 1999 New York City in High Definition - April 27, 2017
- This 1979 TV Guide Fall Preview Guide commercial is spectacular - April 26, 2017
- Beautiful Kite Packaging Art - April 25, 2017