Do you remember Rich Hall’s Sniglets?

Image via Ephemeraology

Image via Ephemeraology

I’m sure glad I have the Retroist blog for an outlet. For the past 5 or so years I’ve mentioned to people if they remembered the HBO show Not Necessarily the News and especially the segment on Sniglets, the words that aren’t in the dictionary but should be.

Most people who I mention the show to can remember it being on, but no one so far has remembered the Sniglets. Do you remember Rich Hall’s Sniglets and did your parents ever send one in?

14 Responses to Do you remember Rich Hall’s Sniglets?

1. Dave Ross says:

I’m sure Sniglets (and that Brain Games show) are a big part of why I love wordplay so much today.

2. VintageVolts says:

I used to have one of the books… until a teacher took it from me in my 9th grade English class.

3. Rich says:

I still have my book, and regularly use a few of his Sniglets! Off the top of my head, I can say I use bathquake, ecnalubma, door slinky, flopcorn, blotchslide….

4. For years I had a couple of Sniglet books for bathroom reading.

5. Mike says:

I remember them very well. Never had the books, though. What’s he up to now?

6. sjgeek89 says:

I need to find a few of these books, ebay here I come.

7. Sierra says:

He’s still pretty active in the UK on panel shows, especially QI.

8. Kevin 251 says:

I loved Sniglets. I believe there were five books (I still have them all somewhere): Sniglets, More Sniglets, Unexplained Sniglets of the Universe, Angry Young Sniglets, and When Sniglets Ruled the Earth. (I earned the favor of my junior high history teacher by letting him borrow my Sniglets books…) Rich Hall also did a book called Vanishing America, which had nothing to do with Sniglets, more of an odd travel journal, but I enjoyed that too.

When Rich jumped from Not Necessarily the News to Saturday Night Live (he was part of that mid-80s Billy Crystal/Christopher Guest/Martin Short season), his Sniglets didn’t go along with him — I don’t recall any Sniglets segments on SNL. He didn’t really have any breakout characters there either, and was sort of lost in the background that year. (Hard to compete with Fernando and Ed Grimley.) But I always enjoyed his work. These days I believe he mostly writes & performs in England.

I did submit a Sniglet suggestion or two, but mine were never used. (And rightly so; they weren’t that funny.)

9. Kevin 251 says:

Also, my wife and I still regularly use a set of Sniglets words which refer to how many hot dogs vs. hot dog buns you have on hand: Excess Weinerage, Excess Bunnerage, and (in the rare event that your dog-to-bun ratio is equal) Frankquilized.

10. TheSixMillionDollarJedi says:

I have several of the books and still use many of the Sniglets today where I can fit them into a conversation.

I could swear I saw Rich Hall doing David Letterman’s early morning show at some point in the early 80s.
    He was doing Small Town news or something with tiny furniture and tiny props.

Always been a big fan of his and I was totally gleeful to see him appear on QI, where he held his own amidst the high-calibre humorists on that wonderful show.

Must find Sniglets now.

12. sjgeek89 says:

@Kevin 251″Excess Weinerage, Excess Bunnerage, and (in the rare event that your dog-to-bun ratio is equal) Frankquilized.” Those are awesome !

13. John McCormick says:

I still use musquit and catsquirt today.

14. Marita says:

Furbling: Walking through the roped off line at the bank, etc…. My favorite!