Vintage Character Cake Pans

“Character” Cake Pans were all the rage in the 1970s and 80s. I recently found these three hanging out at a local antique mall. What kid wouldn’t want to find their birthday candles stuck into a cake in the shape of of Bugs Bunny, Superman, or Tweety Bird for their birthday?

I know these were intended for kids, but I’ll turn 40 years old at the end of this summer and there’s nothing I would rather see on my table than this:

8 Responses to Vintage Character Cake Pans

This has been a collector niche I have been thinking about getting into for a while, but i never seem to find a “deal”.

2. CT says:

I had a Darth Vader cake when I was super young. I wonder if my parents still have the cake pan. I’m guessing not, but this reminds me to ask.

3. Rob O'Hara says:

@Retroist: My local flea market has two vintage Star Wars pans (Darth Vader and R2-D2) for $100 each. The ones in the picture above were all around $20, which seems more reasonable. So many of the things I collect end up sitting on a shelf for the sole purpose of being looked at. If I collected these, I would hope they would be put to tasty use.

4. Alphacentaurian says:

If done correctly, that would be a bitchin’ cake.
    A Boba Fett one would be pretty awesome too.

5. Pop Rewind says:

I had a Ninja Turtles one a couple years ago that I picked up at a thrift store. I was too lazy to learn how to frost a cake, so I just smeared Funfetti icing all over it. Still tasty!

6. Rob O'Hara says:

If I had a Ninja Turtles one I would just cover it in black icing and say he was hiding the shadows. Problem solved. ;)

7. mwentworth says:

My wife has a collection of, oh, maybe 30 character and specialty cake pans. I should get some pictures.