Horror in the Museum and Other Tales (1970)

In 1970, Arkham Press released, Horror in the Museum and Other Tales; a collection of story collaborations and revisions by H.P. Lovecraft.

Horror_in_the_museum

Although Lovecraft died in 1937, his stories got new life and new readership in the 1970s,  due to the efforts of August Derleth and his Arkham House publishing house. The stories of H.P. Lovecraft influenced many well know writers including Stephen King, who, in 1970 was writing Carrie (the tender beginnings of which would be plucked from the obscurity of a trash can and published in 1974).

I admit that I did not enjoy reading most of these collaborative stories. There are some exceptions; the “Horror in the Museum” is a strong story; creepy and fun. So below I offer you a short list of some of my favourite stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I’ve provided links to the stories, which can be read online, for free. I’ve also included links to the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, where you can listen to Chris and Chad discuss each story. I’ve also included the link for the readings of “From Beyond“, “The Hound“, and “Call of Cthulhu” because they’re so well done and just fantastic to listen to!

Just a note: all the show readings and podcasts by the boys at the H.P. Literary Podcast can be downloaded on iTunes.

The best part? You can experience all of this for free.

1. The Statement of Randolph Carter” [podcast]
  2. “From Beyond” [podcast] [reading]
  3. The Music of Eric Zann” [podcast]
  4. Herbert West–Reanimator” [podcast part 1] [part 2]
  5. The Hound” [podcast] [reading]
  6. The Lurking Fear” [podcast]
  7. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward” [podcast part 1] [part 2] [part 3] [part 4] [part 5]
  8. “The Colour Out of Space [podcast part 1] [part 2]
  9. The Call of Cthulhu” [reading] [podcast part 1] [part 2] [part 3]
  10. The Shadow Over Innsmouth” [podcast part 1] [part 2] [part 3] [part 4]

7 Responses to Horror in the Museum and Other Tales (1970)

1. Daniel XIII says:

Hey Sonja, great post! The subject matter is of course dear to my heart, and those links are going to make the workday go much faster!

I had this book second hand from a friend of mine who hated it. He said the book was “too dense”. Too wonderful is more like it. I read it until it fell apart.

I cannot resist the Lovecraft vortex. Firing up Shadows over Innsmouth now.

3. RetroArt says:

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

4. Sonja Nelson says:

Thank-you, Daniel :) The Retroist podcast is fantastic, of course, but for the rainy, windy autumn days; nothing beats listening to the boys at the H.P. Literary Podcast. I only wish they had done readings on all the really great stories.

5. Doug says:

Great post. Randolph Carter story is my favorite.

6. VicSage says:

Fantastic post, Sonja! H.P. Lovecraft is certainly one of my favorite authors of all time, I was introduced to him by a friend from High-School because we were playing the awesome Call of Cthulhu RPG in the library.

By the way, Chris and Chad from the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast as also fantastic. I stumbled on the podcast about two weeks ago to be honest and I’ve been listening to them on the way to and from work. Definitely listen to the Re-Animator two part podcast…it has Stuart Gordon as a guest host. :)

7. Sonja Nelson says:

Thank-you Vic and Doug :) I appreciate the encouragement.

Vic ~ yeah those podcasts are fantastic. I live in a camp in the woods so I used to love listening to the podcasts when driving the hwy that cuts through the woods. Always dark, and spooky :D Between the Retroist and H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, there is enough good material to keep retro geeks like ourselves, happy.

Chad and Chris introduced me to stories like, “The Strange High House in the Mist”, “The Cats of Ulthar”, and “The Shunned House”. I’m just grateful that they made the podcast and helped me discover even more Lovecraft.