rod-serling

In 1973 Rod Serling narrated the TV documentary “In Search of Ancient Astronauts” which was based on the book “Chariot of the Gods” by Erich von Daniken. This show and its follow up “In Search of Ancient Mysteries” in 1975 would serve as pilots for the popular TV series “In Search Of” (1976-1982). Serling was originally chosen to host the new show, but do to his untimely death had to be replaced with Leonard Nimoy. We will never know if “In Search Of” would have been as popular under Serling, but you can get an idea of what the show might have sounded like by watching “In Search of Ancient Astronauts”. Enjoy.

6 Responses to What Would “In Search Of” Have Sounded like with Rod Serling Instead of Leonard Nimoy as Host?

1. RetroArt says:

Love this kind of stuff!
    I remember seeing this on tv a number of times when I was a kid.
    Also saw the IN SEARCH OF NOAH’S ARK documentary in the movie theater.
    As a kid you see these types of things, the IN SEARCH OF tv show included, and you come away with an enlightened sense of knowledge and wonder like,
    “Yes, of course! How could it be otherwise! It’s real! ”
    Even now, as I was viewing the video on Youtube, I was carefully watching the footage for clues or evidence to point to and say, “AH HA!”
    Love this stuff.
    >>Does anyone recall another Rod Serling narrated documentary about weird and strange folklore tales?<<
    I remember once seeing something like that on good ol' WWOR-TV Channel 9 in the NY/NJ/CN area back in the day.
    One of the reenacted stories in this documentary was about a mystery hole in a farmer's field that eminated strange moaning sounds. When the farmer was lowered down what seemed an endless, bottomless pit, he signaled to be drawn back up immediately. He resurfaced in shock, having witnessed something so frightening that his hair had turned prematurely gray!
    Love this kind of stuff!

2. George says:

WOW! Hi RetroArt. I too saw In Search of noah’s ark in the theatre as well. As you began to tell of another documentary I INSTANTLY flashed back to that story of the man descending into the smoky pit. I have not seen that movie since, but still remember it vividly. I never saw that movie again. I live in queens NYC, so I wonder if we saw the same broadcast (late 70s early 80s). I always thought it was on WNEW on a Saturday afternoon. Good times. Pick up the In Search Of box set. Still great stuff.

3. RetroArt says:

Hey George
    You might be right about the WNEW airing- could have been there or WWOR- whichever station that showed the odd movie over the weekends or on holidays/days off from school. Remember how those local stations use to change their programming during the day to the fact that all the broadcast area kids were home from school?
    Perhaps you can help out with a domestic disagreement that has plagued my household for years: Which stations were known for what?
    WNEW-NY channel 5 was kungfu movies and the odd monster movie
    WABC-NY channel 7 was home to The 4:30 Movie on weekdays which had everything
    WWOR-NY channel 9 was known for Hammer films and the odd film here and there
    And then
    WPIX was wherebyou saw Abbott&Costellomovies, Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movies and The Bowery Boys films(?)
    Is that all correct?

4. George says:

Yes. You are correct. Although I can’t remember what channel the Bowery Boys were on. I think WNEW 5. Also, remember Sherlock Holmes and and Blondie and Dagwood movies on WPIX 11 as well. I remember when the Psychotronic Encylopedia of movies came out, and most of the movies covered were on regular rotation in the NYC area. Do you get METV, CoziTV or Antenna on cable? Many of these movies are now back on along with MASSIVE blocks of classic and rare tv programing. I never thought I would see Laurel and Hardy and The Lone Ranger on regular tv again in my lifetime. I love your blog. Keep up the great work!

“WNEW-NY channel 5 was kungfu movies and the odd monster movie
    WABC-NY channel 7 was home to The 4:30 Movie on weekdays which had everything
    WWOR-NY channel 9 was known for Hammer films and the odd film here and there
    And then
    WPIX”

Just seeing that listing takes me back to great times spent sitting in front of the family TV set getting my cultural education.

6. RetroArt says:

“I love your blog. Keep up the great work!”
    George- this is not my blog!
    This is the domain of the great and powerful Retroist!
    I am simply a humble admirer and follower of his and his associates’ great works here.
    Hopefully you have become one too?
    Gooble Gobble! Gooble Gobble!
    One of us!
    One of us!
    @The Retroist: I credit ABC’s weekday The 4:30 Movie with nearly my entire film history/knowledge. Film school helped fill in the blanks. Although there were no courses in The Films of Godzilla :(