Retroist Podcast – Episode 129 – Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

tiamat

On this week’s show we talk all about the Saturday morning carton classic, Dungeons and Dragons. I am joined this week by Vic Sage with a new “Why Should I Know this Person?” and Doug McCoy with a new “Also Ran”” Music on the show was provided by Peachy (the Willie Aames of Wales), if you have musical needs, why not contact Peachy at peachy@retroist.com and “like” him on his Facebook Page.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes, Stitcher, Zune or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It would be much appreciated. If you have any suggestions for topics you would like for me to cover in the future, email them to me at retroist@retroist.com. You can also follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3)
[Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in Zune Marketplace (MP3)
[RSS MP3] Add the Retroist Podcast feed (in MP3) to your RSS aggregator and have the show delivered automatically
[MP3] Download the MP3 directly
[OGG] Download the OGG directly

You can use the subscription button below to add the show to your favorite news reader or subscribe to show directly through iTunes. Thanks for listening and enjoy the show. If your are on IOS or Android, why not check out the show on Stitcher.

To download this show, click the mirror links below. If you are interested in hosting a mirror of this episode, please drop me an email at retroist@retroist.com with the URL of the file. It would be very appreciated.

download the retroist podcast subscribe archive

10 Responses to Retroist Podcast – Episode 129 – Dungeons and Dragons the Animated Series

1. RetroArt says:

Great episode- thank you!

2. sjgeek89 says:

I absolutely loved this show as a kid and introduced it to my kids awhile back and they too loved it, cant wait to listen.

3. jamie says:

hey retroist i have a question about vinger how did he turn bad in the first place do you know.because you said he was good once. i do remeber when dugeon master told the kids that vinger was his son on an episode called graveyard of bones i think it was called. i remeber that because the kids had had it with vinger espically bobby and hank . and how the kids powers were stonger in the graveyard of bones and hank could have killed vinger once and for all.

Venger was originally a noble human but millennia ago made a pact with the Nameless One and chose to be mentored by the evil entity. This tutorship in sorcery would cost him both his humanity and human form, with the essence of his former self being locked inside a cenotaph located at the edge of the Realm. If the key to that vault is ever used to unlock it then Venger would be redeemed of evil and transformed back into his human and humane self.

Another enjoyable ride back to some good times in my retro logbooks.

The show came about as we were heading into AD&D rules and, despite our rebellious late teen years, we enjoyed the Saturday-morning celebration of our early Basic and Expert set adventures.

Watching the show again a while back, only the Uni character pulled it into kid-show line-up fare but not by much.
    One still feels a unified vision at work to bring the D&D experience to TV rather than an attempt to produce a toy commercial (like most toons in the 80s).

Also, I have a dream where Requiem has animation created to match the radio version and we have a complete bookend to this fine series.

Another also – The DVD boxset has a fitting rulebook packaging and looks terrific.

6. jamie says:

thanks for the help dranken so in a way its kind of like a star wars thing in a way. if u know what i mean.

7. plasticzelig says:

Ah, forbidden Saturday fruit: I was absolutely not allowed to watch this show, but I remember frequently sneaking in the opening before I was told to turn off the tv. I too was left with the impression that roller coasters could serve as portals to other worlds and felt truly frightened that it could happen to me.

8. Steve says:

This was the first show I ever recorded and kept on VHS (along with Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends). Very well made show.

9. blinddog says:

I finally got a chance to listen to this episode. It was one of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons and I made sure to pick it up when it was first released on DVD. I was glad to see you selected it for one of your podcast. By the way I thought your idea of having a large Tiamat in the house was great.

I am glad I am not alone. In my world, a six foot Tiamat is a must have in any fine home.