1972 Flame Gun Ad…wait, what?!

Flame Gun
When I first saw this ad posted over at Boing Boing I thought it had to be a joke. I can honestly say I’ve never run across a flame gun while perusing the store shelves of my local shops…of course the weather in my neck of the woods doesn’t exactly call for a need of a Flame Gun…though it says it is a gun with 1000-and-1 uses.
My favorite part of the ad besides the illustration of the woman using a “weapon” Q crafted for James Bond is this warning:
Flame Gun Warning

For my money though when it comes time to wage war against the zombie hordes, er, I mean melt snow and ice I want the model that was made in England!
Flame Gun Sizes

Just remember…
Flame Gun Warning B

VicSage

Editor at Retroist
Searching through the alleys for useful knowledge in the city of Nostalgia. Huge cinema fanatic and sometimes carrier of the flame for the weirding ways of 80s gaming, toys, and television. When his wife lets him he is quite happy sitting in the corner eating buckets of beef jerky.

Latest posts by VicSage (see all)

* indicates required

11 thoughts on “1972 Flame Gun Ad…wait, what?!

1. plcary says:

Ahh, the good ole days… When a man could burn down his house or suffer third degree burns without the pesky safety laws getting in the way.

2. Brian says:

The Wikipedia entry for “flamethrower’ says “In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law, but is restricted in some states, such as California…”

3. dijital101 says:

You can still buy these (and larger models that take the bbq sized propane tanks) at farm supply stores. At least here in Missouri you can.

4. David Mc says:

My Father still has one of the large ones ‘Made in England’ here in Northern Ireland. I still use it every year to burn and clear weeds from cracks in the driveway etc. Heavy, but works a treat! We get little in the way of snow here so we’ve never used it for that!

5. Brian says:

dijital101 – yes, someone forwarded me a link to a similar product on Home Depot’s website.

6. 1000-and-1 uses? I can think of the two mentioned here in the comments. Melting snow/ice and burning weeds. Can someone fill me in on the other 999?

7. Oh, I can think of some other uses. Pest control, dog training, protection against zombies…the list goes on and on. I’d use this thing to light candles….from across the room.

We coulda used a flame gun when the snow storm hit the city a few weeks ago.

But then, I *like* karate-chopping the icy pavement.
    One day, I’ll learn to do it without breaking bones in my hand.

Also, another of those 999 uses:
    No need to take out the trash anymore!
    Just be sure to buy the Acme Fire Extinguisher for your kitchen.