Crossbows and Catapults (1983)

A few weeks ago I took my son over to my mothers for a visit, well a visit and to go digging in the corners of the basement in search for some old treasures. While I was going through some old Burger King glasses my son was also poking around & I heard “dad what is that over there”. Oh just a few old games, nothing great.“I don’t think so dad look at this” he said as he pulled out the dusty half disintegrated box. It was my mine & my brothers game Crossbows and Catapults.

We had got this game for Christmas I think in 1984 from Santa and it was an instant “hit”. In the box where plastic cubes to be used as walls to fortify your castle. Each side had one crossbow & one catapult powered by rubber bands to shoot your battle caroms at each others fortress.

Now just pick, Barbarian or Viking and let the battle begin.

[photo via boardgamegeek.com]

[photo via boardgamegeek.com]

11 Responses to Crossbows and Catapults (1983)

1. Jay says:

I had this game and played it constantly as a kid. I liked to combine the two sides into one MEGA castle and pound the crap out of it with a single crossbow. They made a much crappier version a few years ago that had none of the charm of the original.

2. vinvectrex says:

Fantastic game that occupied a lot of time for my sister and me. I was partial to the crossbow. I seem to recall they had a similar version, but using space/alien characters.

3. Fraze says:

Played this as a kid as well, it was a blast! Its since evolved into this, which my nephews now have and is just as fun;

4. Batfan says:

Nice! Had this as a kid but, unfortunately, most of the pieces have been lost. Occasionally find the caroms here and there in old boxes.

5. pooped_my_pants says:

Wow! This was one of my absolute favorites to play with my younger brother. Hard to believe it isn’t a strong enough concept to re-release today.

6. Manny says:

I wanted this so badly growing up. They rereleased this several years back and I bought it for my kids. They played it quite a bit for a few years and now it’s nothing but MINECRAFT! All the time with the Minecraft….

7. Paul says:

I played the crap out of this game as a kid. I still have mine in face. I’m thinking maybe tonight is the night to introduce it to my kids.

8. VicSage says:

Great post, sjgeek89! I received two sets of these on my birthday one year in my youth and I tell you truthfully that my Father and I would spend hours on the living room floor decimating the walls of our castles. Don’t forget as well that they had expansions to them, my favorite were the Cyclops and Minotaur giants!

9. sjgeek89 says:

yes VicSage we had a Dragon expansion set as well as this set. I couldn’t believe it was still at my mothers house. I have to be honest though, as awesome as a find this was I would trade it for my old Atari 2600 any day, man I wish she had kept that.

10. Jack Burton says:

I liked angry birds better back when it was Crossbows and Catapults!

11. I had a couple of “expansion sets” to this game at one point. One was a sort of Trojan horse whose tail(!) was a catapult.