Halloween 4, 5, and 6 Openings

Halloweens 1, 2, and 3 are my favorites in the Halloween franchise. I watch them every year. Halloweens 4, 5, and 6…not so much. I watched them once, and don’t think I ever will again. Sure, I thought 4 had an good ending, but other than that, there was nothing in these films that really moved me.

Other than the openings, that is. Maybe it is just my enthusiasm for the franchise, but I like the openings of these films almost as much as I like the openings of the first three.

Halloween 4 breaks with the tradition of pumpkin openings we had in the first three. Instead, it gives us a series of Halloweenish shots, showing us not only Halloween decorations spread out across a rural area but just eerily calm Autumn and harvest settings.

Halloween 5 brings us back to the pumpkin. This time, we see Michael (I presume) slashing a jack o’lantern into shape. The slashes are intercut with the credits, though, rather than running beside them as in the first film.

Oddly enough, Halloween 6 doesn’t have an interesting opening, at least not in the “producer’s cut” version. It is just orange credits leading into the first scene.

The latter three Halloween films are definitely not as good as the first three. I don’t know if that’s really saying anything, as few films are as good as the first Halloween, but it is true. Nonetheless, their openings are still worth a watch at this time of year.

6 Responses to Halloween 4, 5, and 6 Openings

1. TheSixMillionDollarJedi says:

The original Halloween is my favorite horror movie but as a franchise it drives me nuts. I like Halloween: H20 (even though the title is stupid) but I can’t say I really like any of the sequels. Halloween III is ok for it’s campy fun but it’s still a very flawed movie.

The thing that bugs me the most about the franchise is the whole Laurie is Michael’s sister thing. It ruins it.

2. Doug says:

I’m the lone guy who likes the sister angle. I prefer Michael as family annihilator to shapeless boogeyman, and I think you can make the case even with the original theatrical Halloween that he was up to something (why the tombstone? why stalk the girls and pick those three when there were plenty of other targets?), but I understand the point. Franchise-wise, Halloween is probably weaker than Ft13th and NOES, but it just has the irresistible Halloween pull.

3. twilitezoner says:

Doug, nothing is weaker than Friday the 13th. :)

Every slasher series seems to go south after the fourth entry. Although I actually liked Halloween 4 but after Halloween 2 the masks for the sequels were just so bad it really affected the movies.

I think the original is as close to a masterpiece as any slasher film can hope to be.

4. Mr. Sweet says:

The original “Halloween” will always be tops for me. But I do really like the treatment of Halloween 2 (1981), where the narrative just picks up where the original left off. Great device. Sure, there was Laurie’s bad wig and the retcon “sister” angle, but for me, neither one distracted me. Halloween 2 is underrated, in my opinion. “Season of the Witch” is always a good re-watch, as well. If you make peace that it’s not a Michael Myers story, you can really enjoy it.

5. Doug says:

I must be super dim, because I never noticed the wig until somebody said something about it this year.

6. twilitezoner says:

I hear ya Mr. Sweet. I always loved Halloween 2 (1981) almost as much as the original. Season of the Witch has grown on me as well but I still have issues with it.

I think Jamie Lee’s wig in part 2 was the worst special effect of the entire series. :)