World’s Fair Beer from 1982

I am really, really ready for this weekend. After the week I’ve had, I’m ready to sit down and pop open a refreshing beer from the 1982 World’s Fair.

I was 11-years-old when my family and I packed ourselves into a Chevy van and drove out to Knoxville, Tennessee to attend the 1982 World’s Fair. We bought a lot of souvenirs while we were there (as you can see), and I have picked up several more over the past couple of years, thanks in part to a recent road trip to that part of the country.

That’s me on the left, with the sweet cut offs, the World’s Fair hat, the World’s Fair t-shirt, and the World’s Fair puppet. Apparently everybody in my family had to sell their shoes to afford all those keepsakes. That’s the only reason I can figure why none of us are wearing any.

A few years ago my Dad was cleaning out his closet, ran across that six-pack of World’s Fair Beer, and gave it to me. It’s officially 30 years old this summer, but online wine, I do not think cheap beer gets better with age.

7 Responses to World’s Fair Beer from 1982

I never even knew there WAS a fair in 1982. I thought the last one was in the 40s or so.

I think I still have a can of 15yr old beer somewhere. It started out as 11 out of a 12 pack, but I used most of it over the years for trying to get rid of ants & things along those lines. I’m pretty sure I still have 1 can left.

2. Belle Dee says:

Wow!! I still have a few polaroids that I took when I went to the WF with my parents. I know my dad had a cup that said Budweiser on it, don’t know if they had any of that official beer.

3. stew says:

Some beers are meant to get better with aging… sadly, I doubt this of one of them. However, since it is in a sealed can, and not in a clear bottle where light can get to it (beer’s worst enemy, dontcha know), and since it was stored in a relatively temperature neutral place… it might just be slightly skunky but otherwise okay. I don’t think I’d drink it regardless, but it is a cool find.

4. Flack says:

@Stew: Until the world runs out of Bud Light, I won’t be finding out. :)

@Belle Dee: How cool! We ended up staying in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and driving over each day. I have a ton of cool pictures from both the Fair and some of the amusement attractions in Pigeon Forge.

So… Flack… You like bud light? Perfect, because that’s exactly what brand my 15+ yr old can of beer is. Do you want it? :p

6. Trav says:

I actually drank some 1982 World’s Fair Beer about a month ago. It wasn’t all bad, but it wasn’t very good. It had orange chunks in it and a sweet but tart flavor. Overall pretty nasty though.

7. Peggy says:

Wow! I find another person that has held on to that stupid 6 pk of World’s Fair Beer! Was actually trying to find out if it was worth something so I could get rid of it. After reading this posts, I am sadly stuck with it!