Pitfall Harry’s Diary

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns for the Atari 2600 was one of the greatest games made for that system. It had great gameplay and interesting setting. It also had one of the best instruction manuals ever put to paper at the time. It was told in Diary format, with very little breaking of the fourth wall that to this day I still find very endearing.

The Retroist

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)

* indicates required

10 thoughts on “Pitfall Harry’s Diary

1. This is cool. I never had Pitfall II, but maybe it’s still available somewhere. It seems worth it just for the instruction diary. I was a huge fan of the original, but I don’t recall that it has such an awesome manual.

2. mwentworth says:

OK, now the rest of my workday will be spent with Pitfall II music running through my head! One of my favorite VCS games, but I had never seen the manual. All but the first two images seem to have broken links for me, though. I will check back later.

3. james says:

I’m starting a blog to try to get David Crane to make Pitfall 3 for the VCS. In the past, he said he would do it, if it could be part of his job, meaning if Activision would pay him to make it. I’ll post a link when it gets done, basically it would be as many fans showing their support, showing the demand to possibly make it happen. KInd of like a Kickstarter concept.

Yeah, pages 1 & 2 work, but the rest are broken.

I’ve never had an actual pitfall 2 game, though I have played it a little via emulation. I do have an original pitfall game for 2600, but I got it used, no box nor manual.

5. vinvectrex says:

Pitfall II is often overlooked because the original was so great, but I loved it more than any other game for the VCS. Not only was the game great, but the box, packaging, and everything about it was wonderful. I would love to see a Pitfall 3 for the VCS if David Crane would ever feel so inclined.

I was never a fan of the original pitfall. Perhaps it was due in part to not having instructions (thus having no idea what, if any, goal the game had), but I just found it to be monotonous, running & jumping until your time ran out. Granted, such was the “goal” of nearly all games of the day, but it felt less blatant in games like galaxian or donkey kong.

I did however like pitfall: the mayan adventure on snes/genesis.

Does anyone remember the pitfall harry saturday supercade cartoon? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoRKA2Std6A

7. mwentworth says:

Not sure either, but I would take a long hard look at them dang frogs, ’cause they always seem to be causing trouble….