Last night I was trying to figure out what to watch, thumbing through my movie collection, when I stumbled up Neon Maniacs. I had not seen the movie in a couple of years and thought I would watch it again. Back in the early 2000s, I picked it up purely out of nostalgia. A friend of mine who was a horror fiend owned it on VHS in the late 1980s and it was in frequent rotation at his house during his first month of ownership.
I bought the dvd at some superstore, I watched it once and remembered, “oh yeah”, and put it away. Unimpressed is how I would describe my reaction to it, but I thought I would go in again last night with as fresh of a perspective as a I could muster.
So…here is what I got.
The acting is pretty terrible. The script is…meh. The costuming borders on ludicrous. Now that those distractions are out of the way let me tell you what I liked this time around.
– It was filmed in the Bay Area. As a former resident it was fun to see locations I could identify.
– The music and look and feel is pure 1980s (what is not to love about that!).
– I am now in love with the idea of a large group of murdering maniacs that cover all the bases of how to kill teenagers. Why just have one maniac who can kill you twelve different ways, when you can have twelves, who can only kill you one way. Just think of what a relief it would be to be chased by say “Hangman”, when suddenly he drops his rope into an open sewer. As long as his arms cannot reach the rope, your free and clear. But look behind you it is Axe!!!
If this all sounds silly to you you, then you are not going to love my next idea. Neon Maniacs action figures. Collect all 12!
Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)
- Retroist Toys R Us Podcast - March 19, 2018
- Retroist Sega Genesis Podcast - March 12, 2018
- I understand the negative reaction to Ready Player One - March 7, 2018