Great new Robert Shaw fans, they finally put a date on the upcoming release of everyone’s favorite shark thriller, Jaws! Besides being fully restored, this release will be packed with extras. Here is the list, straight from the Press Release:
The JAWS Blu-ray™ Combo Pack is available in collectible Universal 100thAnniversary packaging for a limited time. The Combo Pack also contains a Digital Copy of the film for a limited time, compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners, as well as an UltraViolet™ copy. UltraViolet is the revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows in the cloud to download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.
Blu-ray™ Bonus Features:
· The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS: All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider.
· JAWS: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.
· The Making of JAWS: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.
· From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.
· Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
· JAWS Archives: Take a peek inside the JAWS archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the JAWS phenomenon.
· Original Theatrical Trailer
· UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Currently available in the United States only.
· Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronic and portable devices.
· pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
· BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
If you are interested in the restoration process, watch this short video and prepare to learn how they went about restoring this classic:
The restoration process for Jaws began with researching and evaluating the existing film elements (original negatives, inter-positives, 35 mm prints, audio magnetic masters, etc.) As part of the Studios’ preservation process, Universal geographically separates duplicate sets of elements in vaults in Southern California and on the East Coast in an effort to protect the company’s most valuable assets. All items are catalogued in a detailed database via barcodes. After testing the various picture elements for the best quality and resolution, Universal technical staff chose the original camera negative for 4K scanning. Due to the effects of time and use, the camera negative had scratches that needed to be removed. Using Cineric, a top restoration post facility in New York, the negative was scanned through a liquid gate process that eliminates surface scratches. The files of scanned film were transferred to servers at Universal Studios Digital Services. Working digitally, the Studios’ skilled technicians meticulously worked to balance color, remove dirt and scratches and repair any additional frame damage on a shot by shot, frame by frame basis. All work is done in keeping with the artistic integrity of the original film.
Once the picture restoration was completed, the team at Universal Studios Sound prepared to up-mix Jaws to a 7.1 mix from the 5.1 mix that had been created in 2000 using the original mono soundtrack. Now on the forthcoming Blu-ray, fans can enjoy JAWS in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, optimizing the sound for the latest home theater technology.
The entire collaborative restoration process is done in conjunction with Amblin’s post production team. Steven Spielberg personally monitored the progress and approved the final picture and sound.
As a part of Universal’s Centennial celebration, the Studio is producing a full slate of preservation elements for Jaws and 12 other classic Universal films. These new materials include videotape masters, digital file masters, Digital Cinema Package (DCP), audio masters, new film negative, check print and 35 mm screening prints. Through Universal’s on-going preservation and restoration process, these titles will be enjoyed by generations to come.
I have been interested in checking out an HD version of Jaws since I first heard to the technology, so I put in my pre-order (now I got to wait until the whole summer is over!). If you are a fan like me, you know you will want to see it as well, so why not Pre-Order Jaws your copy of Jaws on Blu-Ray today.
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- Animated original Atari 2600 Space Invaders box art - May 29, 2018
- The Art of David A. Trampier - May 20, 2018
- Retroist Lazer Tag Podcast - May 14, 2018