Unboxing IBM PCjr Games

I got a box from my parents that had been in storage for nearly 20 years.  It turned out to be full of classic IBM PCjr games.  Lots of adventure games from Sierra, as well as the Ancient Art of War, M.U.L.E. and some oddities like Borrowed Time by Activision.  This video shows the causes of my misspent youth.

10 Responses to Unboxing IBM PCjr Games

You had me hooked as soon as I saw “Computer Tapes”. Some great taste in games btw. I would play almost any of them today.

2. xot says:

Whoa! That copy of M.U.L.E. is incredibly rare. It is the only version of that important landmark game without any digital archive. Please contact Christian Schiller (Goethe / Eidolon) at World of M.U.L.E.

What a treat! Thanks for sharing, vin.

I have Amazon and Kobayashi for the C64, along with my (knock on wood) still-functional machine, your video makes me wanna play em right now.

Love those boxes. They’re so enticing to gameplay.
    It takes me back to when the computer stores had them lined up and you’d get to inspect every bit of visual and textual information to convince yourself to dive into their programmed world.
    Didn’t take much to be convinced. But yeah, it was disappointing when the graphics used were for a different system.

Do you still have a PCjr? Are you gonna take em for a spin?

4. VicSage says:

Thank you so much for sharing that unboxing video, Vinvectrex! There were some titles you presented that I’ve never had the pleasure of playing, so I’ll have to do a bit of research on them to say the least. :)

5. vinvectrex says:

@xot – thanks for the heads up. I had no idea the game was rare. I figured the PCjr Kings Quest was the unusual one. I’ll get in touch with Christian.

@Atari – the PCjr is still functioning (I think). It is in a separate box and worked when put in storage 20 years ago. Maybe plugging it in and turning it on will be another video.

6. magisterrex says:

Between that PC Jr version of King’s Quest, M.U.L.E., and the Star Trek game, this box is filled with retro amazingness.

7. Flack says:

If you ever get tired of looking at those old, dusty computer boxes, I have a PayPal payment with your name on it. What an AWESOME find!

In the mid 80s my parents owned a computer store and I remember drooling over several of those titles.

8. vinvectrex says:

@Flack – your parents owned a computer store?! And, one of the cool ones that had games?! That was pretty much my dream growing up – along with video store and arcade. That’s fantastic! And, when my wife’s patience for storing these things finally runs out – you’re at the top of the list of people I’ll call.

@Flack – They would not let you sample???

10. spacedmonkeys says:

I came across this after reading that you discovered a pc version of MULE. I just love the way you were going to dismiss the game to the floor as ‘just general’…and then… “OH WAIT…OH HEY” when you read the title :) Little did you know it was probably one of the only surviving copies in the world!