R.I.P. Davy Jones

I wasn’t around for the first run of The Monkees, but I caught reruns on Nickelodeon at a young age and was influenced by them. I didn’t have a favorite, but Davy came close. I couldn’t figure out why he had the same name as “Davy Jones locker”, but I liked him nonetheless. I loved “Daydream Believer” and “I Want To Be Free”. I even loved “That Was Then, This Is Now” from the revamped Nesmith-less Monkees.

And I thought it was particularly hilarious when Davy was on The Brady Bunch Movie. At the school dance, all the teachers flocked to the stage.

I’m sorry to hear today that he has died and I hope he rests in peace.

9 Responses to R.I.P. Davy Jones

I got to see him perform once. He had great energy and made it fun for everyone.

2. Doug says:

He was also the inspiration for Star Trek’s Chekov.

I loved the monkees show & most of the classic songs, but I hated the then & now song (as well as the rest of that comeback album).

4. VicSage says:

I got to meet Davy Jones, Peter Tork, and Mickey Dolenz due to my job. They were here for a fundraiser of sorts in my neck of the woods. Very fun and nice people. It was the same night that I was able to meet Deborah Gibson and Barry Williams.

I too caught their show on the Nickelodeon reruns, Doug, it aired in my Sophomore year of High-School and Monkee fever kind of swept the school.

5. Rick Doherty says:

In Boy Meets World, Peter tork was Topanga’s dad and I remember one episode where they were at a party and Peter, Davy and Mickey got on stage as different characters other than the Monkees. It was pretty cool.

6. Watched The Monkees in the 70s and 80s, over and over. Summer wasn’t Summer without Monkees reruns! He will be missed.

7. I loved the show as a kid, and actually saw the Monkees (sans Mike) on a lark in about 1995. Say what you want, but they were all talented guys in their own right, and put on a fun show show.

8. This really saddens me. I love the TV show and the band’s albums. The Monkees are truly unique and they won’t be the same without him.

9. TexasDevin says:

Much like Caffeinated Joe, my association with the Monkees was during daytime television in the mid/late 80s while I was either home sick from school, or during summer vacation. I do look back fondly on those carefree days of boredom and endless summers. I guess that now with the Internet, kids these days don’t get to experience that in quite the same way.