The Inside of an NES Cartridge

I’m rounding out my Nintendo collection and was inspired to make this little video. The kicker is that I bought a new Metroid cartridge, but after making this video, I got the old one to work. Anybody want to trade for Metroid?

Doug

Doug is a child of the 80s who was raised in Ohio and is now living the life of oblivion in the bay area of California.

Latest posts by Doug (see all)

* indicates required

11 thoughts on “The Inside of an NES Cartridge

1. I say this without hesitation, Doug. We need more of your videos like this one! How about a cleaning vid…not that I’m not sure how to clean my NES carts mind you. ;)

Back in the early 90s or so, I had a broken NES game. …and when I say “broken”, I mean it almost literally. The 2 haves of the case wouldn’t stay together. When I got it 9second hand, in a trade), it had gobs & gobs of scotch tape all over it, holding the 2 halves together (and making it very difficult to get it in & out of the machine, since this was before the top loader). I used model glue to glue the 2 halves together & then just a single layer of tape to help hold it.

$4 eh? I remember when the locak K-marts had used video games (NES, SNES, genesis, game gear, game boy) all for between $5~$10, depending on the game. The were factory reconditioned ones, but they were in good shaoe & worked fine. The only drawback was a lack of manuals. They just had a black & white leaflet with the basic controls (as if you couldn’t figure that much out with about 5 seconds of trial & error).

3. This is funny. For the past 2 days, after receiving some NES cartridges, I have been trying to get my Goonies 2 game to work. Can’t. The other 2, no problem.

I’m guessing some tried messing with the internals or at least opened it before, because the screws can come out with a screwdriver…

I opened it up and found the wasted space humorous.

4. Speaking of Sega Master System, I bought one in the original box, but it’s sitting at my parent’s house.. Argh! Came the other day.

Yes, I didn’t want it to be delivered here, someone might walk off with it before I got home.

Yes, future unboxing video ;)

5. Doug says:

I have a review of the Official NES Cleaning Kit, but I didn’t actually use it. I’ve cleaned all the new games I got recently, so I should have filmed it. Sorry!

6. Doug says:

I had a huge problem with Gauntlet 2, even in the toploader. Turns out it just needed to be cleaned extra well.

The small size of the circuit boards in the NES carts is no surprise if you’ve ever seen the famicom carts: http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2008/07/famicase_nes_designs.jpg

The original famicom versions of the NES games were only about half as tall as the NES versions. Who knows why nintendo decided to bloat up the size of the cartridges. Probably the same reason they decided to go with a blah-grey color scheme (the famicom system was much more attractive, and the famicom cartridges came in a slew of colors) & remove features like storing the controllers on the sides of the system. Aside from the fact that the controllers were hardwired, the famicom beats the NES embarassingly, in every way.

8. Rup says:

Awesome! Since it was the bottom of the cart that had the broken piece did you put the Metroid top on the Goonies Bottom so that the labels are correct? Great troubleshooting!

9. Doug says:

Wish I was that smart. Unfortunately I wasn’t. I just played Metroid in the Goonies 2 case. Now I’ve switched them back and they both work. Go figure.

Comments are closed.