Retroist Atari 2600 Podcast

Retroist Atari 2600 Podcast

Welcome to the Retroist Atari 2600 Podcast. Today’s episode is a milestone in Retroist Podcast history, The 100th episode. Hard to believe, but here it is. To celebrate number 100, we are covering a subject near and dear to my heart, the Atari 2600 (VCS). We talk about how it was made, some of the folks involved, its rise and fall, the games and much much more.

To help celebrate 100 episodes, I worked with Christopher Tupa, the original Retroist Podcast Artist, on a poster for the show. I am still trying to decide if this would be worthwhile to have printed up and sold on the site. As always, opinions are welcome.

metagirl joins the show again for a game-centric top5 list and music on the show was provided by Peachy.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It is very much appreciated.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3)
[RSS MP3] Add the Retroist Podcast feed (in MP3) to your RSS aggregator and have the show delivered automatically.

If you would like more retro fun, you can also follow me on the Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on the Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

Want to help Support the Retroist Podcast? Please drop by our Support page to find out how.

Listen and download the Retroist Atari 2600 Podcast

Thanks for listening to the show and I hope you have a great weekend.

Garry Vander Voort

Editor/Podcaster at Retroist
The Retroist is like a BBQ on a bun without the bones. You're only human daddy. Chomp!

Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)

* indicates required

15 thoughts on “Retroist Atari 2600 Podcast

1. vinvectrex says:

Congratulations on this milestone! And, great poster. I want that sweater vest. I’m interested in learning more of this “2600.” Whatever that is.

2. Doug says:

Excellent choice for the 100th episode. It was vintage games that brought me to The Retroist Podcost and through the podcast to the site, so glad to see this 100th episode be on what is arguably the most classic of all classic games. Super Props to the Retroist whose podcast is undeniably one of the best and my personal fav!

3. Just wanted to join in the congratulations. It really is a milestone, and still my favorite podcast. Can’t wait to listen to this one. And thanks for doing such a great job.

Congratulations on your 100th podcast, Retroist!

I’ve listened to every one of them and, everytime, your heartfelt and detailed look at valued subjects from the past has been an informative, welcoming and fun trip down memory lane.

And what a great subject for this one! (of course I’d say that – but it’s true)
    This console was the start of my life as a video gamer, has offered escapism during hard times, heroics as my only my inner Indy could, gold keys and gold bricks aplenty, social bonding and an everlasting smile on my face at the mere thought of its casing sitting beneath our old color TV.

I still have the box and its 289.00 price tag from Woolco (best money I never spent).
    A greatly detailed box whose game screens and gamers having fun signaled the years of magical gaming sessions to come.

So here’s to another hundred magical podcast sessions, Retroist!

Game Reset switch – – Go.

5. I love the music that was playing in the background as you told your own story about the 2600; it was like you discussing a religious experience =)

To 200 podcasts and BEYOND!

Long Live Atari!

6. Fraze says:

Awesome podcast! There are probably 2 christmases that I will NEVER forget in my lifetime. The year my brother and I got our 2600 (the other being the year I got my C64).

Can’t wait for Podcast 101!

7. Glad you liked it Fraze. The 2600 and C64 were very much Red Rider BB Gun moments for me as well. They set a bar that has been very hard to beat. I am looking forward to getting 101 out the doors as well. It is another subject that I enjoy a great deal.

8. plcary says:

I finally remembered to grab the jump drive on which I put this podcast today. I listened to it in the car on a drive and it made the trip go by very quickly! I always like talk radio on a long trip and what better subject than the Atari 2600! Keep up the good work!

9. vinvectrex says:

Just re-listened to this one. Seriously Meta-girl? Jungle Hunt made the top 5 games? Where’s River Raid? Where’s Starmaster? Where’s Private Eye? Okay, I’ll admit that I’m the only person who likes the last one. And, I’ll even admit those are all Activision games – so I may be biased. I’m going to check out Jungle Hunt and see if just maybe I didn’t give it a fair chance.

10. Hot Pink Nation says:

I think this may have been nearly everyone’s first system (if you were born before like 1985) and I still have one in great condition. Its a “Darth Vader” with the ‘Atari 2600’ branding but its nice. Many, many games as well.