Retroist Podcast – Episode 084 – Airplane

On today’s show we talk all about the 1980 comedy hit movie, Airplane!. We talk about the pre-production, the writers/directors, the cast and cameos, production and much much more.

Oh and if you have a moment please stop by iTunes or Zune or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It would be much appreciated. If you have any suggestions for topics you would like for me to cover in the future, email them to me at retroist@retroist.com. You can also follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

You can use the subscription button below to add the show to your favorite news reader or subscribe to show directly through iTunes. Thanks for listening and enjoy the show.

This episode has recently been moved offsite. Click the link below or one of the mirrors to download it. If you are interested in hosting a mirror of this episode, please drop me an email at retroist@retroist.com with the URL of the file.

download the retroist podcast subscribe archive

11 Responses to Retroist Podcast – Episode 084 – Airplane

1. vinvectrex says:

Airplane is this week’s podcast? Surely you’re joking!

2. Awesome! Downloaded it and downloading a bunch more. Love it!

I’ll Shirley enjoy this.

4. VicSage says:

You will enjoy it, Atari Adventure Square & Vinvectrex…and stop calling me Shirley. ;)

5. The Doc says:

Does anyone here speak jive? Oh Airplane, I cannot properly confess my true love for you. My brother and I went to see this movie over twenty times in the actual movie theater! I think we may have been some of the first few people who could recite the entire movie line by line! Now it’s hard to find people who can’t do that.

I always like to point out the creatives team first movie which was in a similar vein, The Kentucky Fried Movie. If you have not seen the Kentucky Fried Movie, do yourself a favor and rent it now. It has all the same types of humor, but it is way more racy in nature with its humor.

Thanks for another amazing podcast Retroist!

6. Doug says:

Chump don’t want the help, chump don’t get the help.” Best line ever. Thanks, Retroist, for accompanying me on another Friday night home improvement session.

Glad you guys liked it. I have been watching the movie a lot lately so it felt like the right time to make an attempt at the show.

8. Retro Justin says:

Rex Kramer aka the great Robert Stack:
    “Loneliness, that’s the bottom line. I was never happy as a child… Christmas, Ted, what does that mean to you? It was living hell. Do you know what it’s like falling in the mud and getting kicked, in the head? With an iron boot? Of course you don’t, no one does, that never happens. Sorry, Ted, it’s a dumb question, skip that.”

Just watched the movie again (had been a few years).
    I was half expecting to smile and reminisce on laughter of yonder past, but the first few minutes had me in stitches from then on.

No stopping in the red zone, indeed. Or is it the white?

And another great podcast, as always.
    I gotta chase down Zero Hour for some unintentional larfs.

10. Doug says:

…no one does… that’s hilarious. I always die at that line.

11. charltonhero says:

Is it wrong to say I enjoyed Airplane 2 better? Saw the sequel first as a kid and the original much later. The original always seemed tamer. Still loved it though.