I fight for the users!
Anyone who spends any amount of time on The Retroist knows a few things about me. I drink too much soda, I do not get much sleep and I love the movie TRON. So when TRON Legacy hit the theaters I went and saw it multiple times (8 in total). I guess I am explaining this sort of as a disclaimer. I am a TRON fanboy and I find it impossible to separate myself from my love of the story and the mythology behind the films. So as I sit down to write a review of my much appreciated advance copy of the “TRON” and “TRON Legacy” 2-Movie Blu-Ray/DVD Collection, I need to establish some ground rules for this review.
I am not going to talk much about the story or I will be hear all day gushing and that ill be embarrassing for both of us. All I can say is that TRON and TRON Legacy are fantastical movies set in a cyber-world of compelling heroes and villains. Its sooo good.
I am also going to get talking about the artistry of the film over with now – both films are visual masterpieces in my opinion. They are well conceived and carried out with the best technology available for the filmmakers at the time. Okay now with that out of the way, I can get to the meat of this 2 movie Blu-Ray/DVD collection.
Looking sharp – Nice Hologram style cardboard sleeve with Quorra and Sam Flynn. The image you have probably seen a 1000 times from the marketing blitz. When you pull off the sleeve you get the same image, this time no hologram. I am sure you have seen this before, but if you have not, enjoy:
The Blu-Ray case is the aptly colored blue (for once this seems more relevant). Inside is the normal inserts and advertisements. Three interesting ones.
1. An add for Commodore USA with a C64
2. TRON Uprising logo
3. This beauty:
A scan cannot do it justice, but I can tell you this, it looks good enough to be hanging next to my desk now.
What You Get Inside
Packaging is good, but the real gem is whats on the discs and you get a lot of Tron. You get:
1. TRON Legacy 3D Blu-Ray
2. TRON Legacy 2D Blu-Ray
3. TRON Legacy 2D DVD
4. TRON Legacy 2D Digital Copy
5. TRON the Original Classic Blu-Ray
Now that is just the main stuff. You also get a host of extras including”
• First Look at TRON: Uprising, the Disney XD animated series
• Visualizing TRON – How did the filmmakers bring to life the gorgeous world inside the GRID?
• Installing the cast – Hear from all the stars of TRON: Legacy and their experience in making the movie
• The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed [BD Exclusive – Interactive bonus piece] – What happens immediately following the end of the movie? What is Flynn Lives and who is responsible for their efforts?
• TRON: Disney Second Screen [BD Exclusive – Interactive bonus piece] – Using your iPad or computer, watch the movie with exclusive interactive elements available on your 2nd screen
• Launching the Legacy – Beyond the amazing visuals is a rich story filled with an entire world’s history and mythology. Discover how the writers and filmmakers created this complex fiction
• Disc Roars – Watch director Joseph Kosinski use the raucous crowd at Comic-Con to record actual ADR for the disc game stadium crowd
• Music video – “Derezzed” written, produced, and performed by Daft Punk
I have had this set for over a week I am still wading through the sea of extras between my constant need to re-watching of the original film (it is almost becoming a compulsion).
Visually both films are stunning. I had not doubt how good Legacy would look in Blu-Ray. This is the type of movies that they use to sell Blu-Ray players. What made me nervous is what they would do with the with the original TRON. Now Disney could have passed the film through a computer and cleaned up everything about the film. Heck they could have even redid some of the special effects to make the film seem more like Legacy. I am very pleased to see that they did not. They obviously spent a great deal of effort cleaning up the film. I watched it and compared it to my DVD copy and you can see the love they put into it. But they did not try and change the original experience.
Yes, 30 years have not been kind to TRON and the effects look somewhat dated, but this movie is a classic and these special effects were groundbreaking. To change it and its visual style would be like colorizing Casablanca or editing in an ending where Rick gets on the plane. Instead Disney did the noble thing. They cleaned up and preserved the film making it more TRON than it has ever been. It is because of this that I have locked in to re-watching the movie. I now feel like I am seeing it again for the first time.
The set also has a 3D copy of the film. I do not have the ability to watch 3D (and I am not a huge fan of 3D — it makes me feel ill after a while). Still if you do have a 3D setup at your home, I think Legacy is a good addition to your collection (I saw it in 3D in the theater).
I have never been an audiophile, but I tried to make a little setup using computer speakers that I own to enjoy the movie in high quality stereo. Both titles sound great, although I have to say Legacy with its Daft Punk music definitely benefits more from the higher quality audio (and I love that music video).
I love both TRON and the more I watch it, the more I enjoy TRON Legacy. I think that either title alone is worth owning. I know a lot of people are down on Legacy, but now that a third film is on the horizon and more of the story is about to unfold, I think that Legacy will be vindicated. It is a flawed movie for sure, but that is because it stuck with the burden of having to redefine an established mythology and update it for a new audience. As more of the Tron Universe unfolds over the course of the next few years, this will be a film that certainly rise in people’s esteem. Of course, I am a fanboy, so you got to take that for what its worth.
That aside, the movies look and sounds great. The extras are plentiful. These are just what I was hoping for in a release. So make sure you pre-Order your copy or at least mark it on your calender. It will be available on April 5th. If you are an especially hardcore fan you might want to check out the Tron: Legacy / Tron: The Original Classic (Five-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy in Identity Disc Collectible Packaging). I know I already have the movie, but I think I might need to get that one as well. Love those identity discs.
Latest posts by The Retroist (see all)
- Video Footage of 1999 New York City in High Definition - April 27, 2017
- This 1979 TV Guide Fall Preview Guide commercial is spectacular - April 26, 2017
- Beautiful Kite Packaging Art - April 25, 2017