Patch the Pony Says “Nay! Nay!” and Strangers “Stay, Stay Away”

patch-the-pony

In the early ‘80s this was a public awareness campaign (similar to the anti-drug DARE) that taught kids about the danger of strangers. The package included a filmstrip, textbooks, and little buttons of Patch that warned strangers to “stay, stay away,” or possibly to remind us when we were wearing them to stay away from strangers. And really, Patch looks cuddly, but if you’re a stranger, are you gonna mess with a red horse with a never-explained badass patch on his eye? He probably lost that eye fighting off strangers, or possibly a gang of evil unicorns. Here’s the full, original, 17-minute “sound filmstrip.”

Watch the Full Video

10 Responses to Patch the Pony Says “Nay! Nay!” and Strangers “Stay, Stay Away”

1. metagirl says:

Do kids still watch filmstrips in school? I loved filmstrip day. Occasionally I was called upon to be the projectionist…remember that telltale “ding” that told you when to turn the knob that advanced to strip? The timing had to be precise so as not to get the film out-of-sync with the soundtrack…oh, the pressure!

2. CD says:

3. Zurannah says:

I have been looking for this for years. We always watched it in school, and I loved it! I will never forget it. My sister and I would say this even when we were grown….. “Nay, Nay, from strangers, stay away!” Too funny. Thanks for the memories…Thanks so much for posting! :)

4. Barbara says:

I remember seeing this in 2nd grade in 1975. I still sing the song, too. I can’t imagine kids these days actually sitting through this. It takes forever to get to the point!

5. Sidney says:

Oh my goodness, this is so potentially dirty! Or maybe it’s just me. Didn’t Patch teach us about drugs a bit, too? I remember this fondly from my elementary years in Tulsa.

HAD to include it in my blog post this afternoon.

Thank you so very much for sharing this; and yes, I watched the whole, damn thing.

6. Russ Fender says:

i bought Patch several years ago for reasons that I’m not entirely sure. I remembered it from when i was a kid and i had the feeling that Patch did not need to just go away. We have made some strides in updating the materials however so far we have not been able to get it animated as we had hoped. 2d animation is expensive… anyway, he’s still around. We are revamping the website now and hopefully that will help. Check back on Patch in a few months and hopefully we will be up and operational. And by the way, i still show the stranger awareness to kids and they love it. It’s not the kids who have to have the full 3D graphics and all that jazz, it’s us, the adults who have become jaded by technology. The kids still love the pony!!!

7. pjbarr says:

I loved this story as a child and recalled the warning he gave to stay away from strangers. If possbile try and get this wonderful teaching tools back into schools, because of the resent increase of children being kidnapped on their way to or from school This could be a valuable teaching tool and could help save a child from harm. Try and get Patch the Pony back into the schools. A new super hero!

8. Manuel Llorens says:

I worked for SVE, the company that produced this filmstrip at the time it was released to the school market and I sold quite a few sets, however, it was about 1970 and not 19890. I also met the author of the program.

9. Nathan Legg says:

Patch has a facebook page. Be sure to look him up and give him a like.

10. Christopher says:

OMG. I saw this in grade school in 1971-72 and that theme song has always haunted me..and I have always wanted to see this again! I’ve looked for it on and off for years. THANKS FOR POSTING!~