When the Angela Lansbury film, Bedknobs and Broomstickspremiered in 1971, a half hour of footage from the film had been removed. No one knew why. Then in 1996 Disney remastered the film adding the footage back into, but this version did not get a theatrical release. In fact pretty much the only way you could see this in the USA was through a laser disc release or a European Import.
This means the transfers looks pretty good with very little signs of aging. If you didn’t know better you might think the movie had been made last year. And the film has some really great extras
* The Wizards Of Special Effects — Hosted By Jennifer Stone From Disney’s WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PLACE
* “A Step In The Right Direction” Reconstruction
* Music Magic — The Sherman Brothers
* David Tomlinson “Portobello Road” Recording Sessions
* Theatrical Trailers
Love to see the Theatrical Trailers included with all DVDs (applause). But the money extra is the “A Step In The Right Direction” Reconstruction which uses the original music track linked up to existing production stills to convey an idea of what the lost sequence would have looked like. I like that it was included as an extra, but would have liked to have the option to insert it into the film to see how it would fit into the narrative. Hopefully one day the lost footage for the film will be found and we can see the masterpiece restored to all its glory.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks will make a great addition to any Disney fan’s library and at $21.49 on Amazon, it is a steal. So pre-order your copy today for the September 8th release.
Latest posts by Garry Vander Voort (see all)
- Stay Alive the Board Game - January 18, 2018
- Tina Yothers sing “Baby I’m Back In Love Again” on Family Ties - January 17, 2018
- My favorite Disneyland garbage can - January 16, 2018