Ghostbusters 3 is a Go and Will have the Original Cast

ghostbusters3

We have all heard that “Ghostbusters 3″ has been in the works for many years, but now it had been confirmed that they will start filming shortly and more importantly that the entire original cast will return. That’s right, long time hold out Bill Murray has agreed to join the crew one last time. He will join the already signed Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis and Harold Ramis. No word yet on weather Annie Potts will return to reprise her role as Janine Melnitz, but I have my fingers crossed.

The screenplay for the film has been written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky who write for “The Office” and penned the upcoming film “Year One”. The plot of the film supposedly revolves around passing the torch to a new group of Ghostbusters. While I am sad at the idea of an end of an era, it is probably long overdue for a franchise that has so much potential.

So who will the new Ghostbusters be? Your guess is as good as mine. For some reason though, I would really like to see Ed Helms involved in this movie in some way. Not sure why, but he just seems like he should be in Ghostbusters.

Look for “Ghostbusters 3″ to make a director announcement soon and to hit theaters in 2012.

24 Responses to Ghostbusters 3 is a Go and Will have the Original Cast

1. Pab Sungenis says:

Harold Ramis had been shopping a script for years called “Ghostbusters In Hell,” which would have involved the originals being pulled out of retirement to save the asses of the new team. I hope they’ve adapted his treatment for this new script.

2. Brian says:

Vince Vaughn would make a perfect Ghostbuster in the mold of Venkman.

3. Brian that’s a good point, Vaughn would be good. I don’t really care who’s in it…I just need more Ghostbusters and I’m sick of waiting!!!!

I imagine they will be pulling from “that” group of comedy actors for the movie. Maybe the generation right below Vaughn though.

5. jcy says:

what in the world would annie potts be doing that’s more interesting than a ghostbusters movie

6. Jeff says:

They’ll probably go with the new trendy comedy folks. Jack Black, Michael Cera, Seth Rogen, etc.

That sounds about right.

8. Kevin R Wright says:

Since when did Rick Moranis agree to be in this? Last I read he said he was 100% completely through with acting. I’d really have to see a source on that little tidbit because I highly doubt he’s on board and that someone just lumped his name in without doing any research.

9. J says:

Hooray! I have been hoping for this for so long.

And Kevin, hopefully Rick would be in this because Ghostbusters transcends mere acting. And you don’t want to be “that guy” whose absence is glaring.

10. Chunky Munkey says:

Ghostbusters isn’t a “franchise”. It’s a lifestyle choice.

Chunky – I had not thought about it that way. I will make corrections in future posts.

12. Doug says:

@Pab Sungenis: I think that “Ghostbusters in Hell” might have been adapted for the upcoming video game, which has nothing to do with the third movie, but I could be mistaken.

Dan Aykroyd, said he wants a couple of female Ghostbusters in there this time (out of a team of 5) and the lovely ladies he’s interested in getting are Alyssa Milano and Eliza Dushku. I’d go see that movie and Bill Murray doesn’t even have to show up if he doesn’t want to. :)

13. Doug says:

@Chunky Munkey & Retroist: Well, Venkman was always hoping to turn it into a franchise, “The franchise rights alone will make us wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.” :)

14. geoff says:

I wouldn’t mind having some new recruits but i don’t want it to be the original gang passing the torch on to the new. I think a better idea would be over the years they’ve picked up (4-5) new recruits (not all young kids). A diverse group of new characters. I don’t think Ben Stiller should be a ghostbuster, he would be a good antagonist (ie. dodge ball). Michael Cera would be a good pick for a new recruit. They definitely need female ghostbuster, probably two. Eliza Dushku would be good, Alyssa Milano would be ok but she probably won’t be. I see her as being a secondary charcter. Zooey Deschanel or Kristen Wiig would be good picks. As for the other male charcters I don’t want Seth Rogen or Jonah Hill. Maybe – Josh Radnor, Kenan Thompson, Bill Hader, Russell Brand. These ar just my opinions though.

15. Devon says:

the new crew members should be Orlando Jones Ryan Reynolds Jack Black and Jim Carrey. That would be a funny movie

16. So I guess then the Ghostbusters game is not really part 3 like I thought it was. sad, but happy at the same time.

17. Patrick says:

Yeah this is Awesome Ghostbusters 3 news! The sad news for some reason Sigourney Weaver said no to GB3 again. Her name is off the GB3 Imdb cast page. Somebody told me that if they can’t find a new Dana Barrett they will have her move someplace else in the GB3 script. They might have her move to London or someplace like that because Dana’s Son Oscar will be in GB3 as a new GB and his Step-Dad Dr. Peter Venkman will take care of him. We have to see if she returns or not because I’m hoping that Dan Aykroyd will talk to her and change her mind again to be in GB3. Ghostbusters 3 will be here in 2012 and filming will began in 2011 and Dan said that the GB3 script will be finished by the end of Summer and Production will began this Winter of 2009. The Original GB’s are in GB3! It will be a huge Blockbuster hit in 2012 and I can’t wait to take my Wife to see GB3 in 2012 and buy the GB3 soundtrack to!

18. steven g says:

A don’t like this passing of the torch thing it dosn’t sound right, why can’t the original cast, say maby they come out of retirement to help out new york city, with something strange going on, and maby yes have some new recruits on board but we don’t want the whole film to be about the new recruits, we want the originals in mix of it all the way through.

19. Mitch says:

I hope its the original cast dealing with ghosts in this day and age then some new comedy actors of this age who are more into perveted sex jokes than any thing actualy funny maybe Sacha Baron Cohen and Ben Stiller but thats about it guys like Seth Rogen not sure hes comedy is more about perverted sex jokes than anything else and same goes with alot of hes buddies who do the same thing

20. elle says:

Allow me to play casting director for Ghost Busters 3. New recruits I would suggest:

Michael Cera as Dana’s son Oscar. He’d be 20-something by now, right? He can be the geeky scholarly Ray type.
    Jennifer Coolidge as the cougar divorce ghost buster. She’s just funny. And I think she would be perfect for this.Her character could be trying to raise a kid after her hubby walks out so she needs the Ghost Buster gig.
    Ice-Cube as token black dude. I think he would bring some real n-word sensibility and funny to hunting ghosts. If you saw him in Anaconda, you know what I’m talking about.
    Vince Vaughn for his smarmy, sleezy wise-assed ness a la Peter Venkman
    Christina Ricci as the wise-ass receptionist.

21. Sean Bassett says:

I like the idea of passing on torch.The original GB will be too old now so it’s only realisitic because in real life,you’d have completely new people working for a company.The originals wouldn’t come out of retirement because they can’t.They are too old.Hoping Ben Stiller plays the new Peter Venkman.

22. Lynn S:
    I’m gonna say was how long to be GHOSTBUSTERS 3
    to get done on time I’m not to rush things
    i just to i know i long to be