Retroist Podcast – Episode 002 – Saturday Supercade

saturday-superdcade-podcast

Do you like cartoons? How about video games? Well you came to the right place. This week’s Retroist Podcast is about the CBS early 1980′s Saturday Morning Masterpiece “Saturday Supercade”, which hit the airwaves on September 17, 1983, and ran for two seasons. I talk about all the show segments (Frogger, Donkey Kong, Q-Bert, Donkey Kong Jr, Pitfall Harry, Space Ace and Kangaroo), play some commercials and throw in some surprises for good measure. This is my second episode of the podcast and I have changed things up a little already. I hope you enjoy the changes.

Music on the show was provided by Peachy (the Mario of Wales), if you have musical needs, why not contact Peachy at peachy@retroist.com. And “like” him on his Facebook Page.

Want to help Support the Retroist Podcast? Please drop by our Support page to find out how.

If you have a moment please stop by iTunes, Stitcher, Zune or wherever you might download the show and perhaps give the show a quick rating. It would be much appreciated.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3)
[Zune] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in Zune Marketplace (MP3)
[RSS MP3] Add the Retroist Podcast feed (in MP3) to your RSS aggregator and have the show delivered automatically.

If you have any suggestions for topics you would like for me to cover in the future, email them to me at retroist at retroist.com.

If you would like more retro fun, you can also follow me on the Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/retroist and on the Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/retroist.com.

To download this show, click one of the mirror links below:

Thanks for listening to the show and I hope you have a great weekend.

9 Responses to Retroist Podcast – Episode 002 – Saturday Supercade

1. Mari says:

The podcast is cool. The length is perfect for topics like this, I think – fun and interesting, but not so long that people who aren’t already familiar with the subject might get all A.D.D. and wander off before it’s over. That has been a problem for me with some podcasts I would have otherwise been addicted to, just too freakin’ long. And I only have the most vague memories of Supercade… I was only four-years-old in 1983… but I like the show and definitely dig the style. Looking forward to more episodes.

2. Tommy Day says:

I honestly had never heard of the Saturday Supercade, but their theme song definitely sounded like they were imitating Kenny Loggins, but I don’t blame them.

3. TheT says:

I remember the Supercade but I was starting to smoke pot by then so my Saturday cartoon watching suffered. Yes pot and cartoons go hand in hand but I was sleeping in late so I missed alot of the cartoons that came on earlier. I was more of a Tarzan, Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Show, Spiderman and his amazing friends, Thundarr kinda guy. By the mid-eighties I had all but forgotten about cartoons. But from the early seventies to the early eighties I was a cartoon fanatic. I reffered to Saturday as Cartoonday for years.

4. Eric says:

Is it wrong for a man who is approaching 40 to get goosebumps when hearing the Saturday Supercade theme? = )

Love the podcasts. Keep up the great work. I would love to hear a Magnum PI podcast!

Thanks Eric, I think your Magnum podcast will happen very soon, metagirl suggests it daily. I find myself singing the Saturday Supercade song to myself in the weirdest places, which of course draws the weirdest looks.

6. carl says:

i have 6 .. 16mm film reels of donkey kong and donkey kong jr cartoons from saturday supercade that i going to sell there are 2 cartoons in each reel.. if your intretd let meknwo asap

7. Moot Booxlé says:

I’m just a little too young to have experienced Saturday Supercade…Too bad!! I was an infant when this show started airing…I didn’t get into video games until I got an NES in 1988. That began an obsession that had me watching shows like Captain N and the Super Mario Bros Super Show religiously. This is an amazing piece of history that, had I been born about 5 years earlier, I would have no doubt tuned in to!

Haha…poor old Pitfall Harry. He had one amazing adventure…and a whole bunch of sad, pathetic ones after that. This is an amazing trip back in time!

8. charltonhero says:

Very fond memories of this. I jumped on in the dying days of this Season and caught very little of the Supercade but did enjoy Space Ace, Donkey Kong and Q-Bert. Thanks for this one!